HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ? for CAYUGAD
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005, 03:06 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ? for CAYUGAD

Rebel Hog the whole question is.. are you happy with the way your rifle is shooting? It sounds like your doing a real good job. My Wolverine has a RED DOT scope and #11 ignition. As long as I shoot loose powder I have never had an ignition problem with the rifle so I see no reason to change. Also what works in my rifle might not work at all in yours.

An advantage with the #11 ignition is you have less crud ring when you burn the hotter powders. 209 primers and Triple Se7en powder (depending on the brand of primer you shoot) could cause some nasty crud rings to develop in the breech so keep an eye out for them. I like to shoot Goex 3f in the Wolverine II because it is cleaner burning then the Goex 2f and I think I get a little more power from the same size charge. Also I like the smoke and the stink and the cheap price. When you shoot as much as I do, it is nice to save a little money.

With this Pinnacle powder, I was able to shoot 12 T/C Mag Express XTP's in 240 grain without ever swabbing the barrel. That was a real eye opener for me. The T/C 240 XTP is made by Hornady.. you're correct. The sabot might be different but the bullet is the same. The T/C Mag Express sabots are not the break away. I actually think they are a MMP sabot, I could be wrong.

MLKeith I was low on powder so when I ordered another case of Goex, I noticed they sold Pinnacle Powder. Since they let me mix and match powder as long as I make a minimum limit of pound I buy, I bought two pounds of the Pinnacle Powder, Three pounds of Swiss 3f, and the rest in Goex 2f and 3f. I get my powder from Powder Inc.. I think I payed $16.50 a pound without figuring in the hazmat fee.

I think this is a new version of Clean Shot since it is produced by American Pioneer Powder, Inc. along with help from Goex, Inc. It is jet black in color, still makes lots of smoke but no stink. It sure is some clean burning stuff. I am not sure of the moisture abilities of the powder yet although today when I was shooting, snowflakes were falling around me and it did not act up.

I still have over a pound of the stuff to shoot, so I am going to play a lot more with it, and when this snow melts and the other ranges open up, then I can try it out at some real long distances.....