Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Have a CVA looking at TC-HELP! >

Have a CVA looking at TC-HELP!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Have a CVA looking at TC-HELP!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Have a CVA looking at TC-HELP!

I currently own a CVA in line eclipse mag- theres the rub. I am worried about the safety issue of CVA and reliability. It is a really nice looking ML I won at Whitetails unlim banquet. I am going on a Muley hunt this fall with ML only and thinking I want total reliability (wet weather) . Am I wasting money thinking of T/C Encore (or any break-open) ? Should I stick with the CVA and call it good? Also have a Lyman 54 plains rifle- can't imagine carrying that in the mountains. Any help greatly appreciated as I am usually found on the archery boards and I'm a dummy when it comes to black powder.

J
Old 03-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Have a CVA looking at TC-HELP!

I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum which I believe is the next one on the inline chain, under yours. This CVA will shoot 245 grain powerbelt copper HP with 90 grains of Goex 2f excellent. It will also shoot the 348 grain pure lead HP with 90 grains of Goex 2f excellent. There are a number of different sabots like the 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP that is shoots excellent.

What I am getting at is your Eclipse is a great rifle. Anyone that owns or owned one will never tell you they are not accurate. Your concern about the barrel pressure issues is a matter of personal choice. I shoot my Staghorn all the time. The one thing I do not do is put large charges in it. I use common sense and besides, the rifle does not like large charges.

I personally think the Eclipse will work just fine for you. I will say that if you're worried about the "spanish barrel" then maybe for your own piece of mind sell the thing and use the profits on a different rifle.

Personally the .54 plains rifle might be a little heavy, but it is more then able to handle the job too. I considered the GPR but instead bought a Trade Rifle. I really like the rifle....
Old 03-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

swampcruiser,

Your CVA will really do the job for you as long as you follow the directions you are given in your manual - and actually, that goes for any ML'er.

The "break opens" are the rage of the day - basically becuase they are suppose to be easier to clean, and I assume they are - I do not have one and at this time I do not have the urge or the money to buy a new one.

Your Lyman is a good gun also and would work just fine... Check the rules of the hunt and see what you can use. Making a ML water proof/water resistant is certainly important and can be accomplished with just about any ML.

Have a great hunt!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:05 PM
bigcountry

I currently own a CVA in line eclipse mag- theres the rub. I am worried about the safety issue of CVA and reliability. It is a really nice looking ML I won at Whitetails unlim banquet. I am going on a Muley hunt this fall with ML only and thinking I want total reliability (wet weather) . Am I wasting money thinking of T/C Encore (or any break-open) ? Should I stick with the CVA and call it good? Also have a Lyman 54 plains rifle- can't imagine carrying that in the mountains. Any help greatly appreciated as I am usually found on the archery boards and I'm a dummy when it comes to black powder.
I wouldn't worry about it. You have more of a chance getting killed on the way to the hunt in your car IMO.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:54 PM

SWAMP:I had a 50 cal. CVA Eclipse mag: and if it was not for the plastic stock I still would have that gun,the gun shot real well as good as some of my T/C or even better.I have to say that gun would shoot some outstanding groups using the Precision QT'S40 cal bullet/sabot in 235 grains and 110 grains of pyrodex select also RWS 1075 plus primers.I think the gun cost $99.00 bucks out of bass pro shop, I did glass bed the action ,did not care for cva one hold down screw otherwise I see no problems with the eclipse mag:
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the help and the input. As much as I hunt w/ a ML I think I will stay with the CVA.

Those TC encores just look like another toy I need-Like a hole in the head !
Old 03-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

============================================

With all MLs, it'a roll of the dice thing... especially with loading mistakes - because MLs are not governed like centerfires (SAAMI). You increase your safety, accuracy & quality odds shooting T/Cs and Knights over CVAs.

Yes... there have been "hospital-serious" action & breechplug issues with "plural" Eclipses.... as-per a private investigator on another message board. You could PM me to contact him -- but only if you ever got hurt due to an Eclipse malfunction.

I'm done here.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:14 AM

Hello,

First off if you keep your powder charges below 100 grains of black powder or equilivalent you should be fine with your CVA. If it bothers you you that much you don't have to spend $500 on a Encore, just to satisfy your concerns. You can certainlly buy any number of other rifles that don't have this "issue". Probably the lowest cost one and one that comes very highly rated is the NEF Sidekick or Huntsman. The Huntsman can even accept other barrels like the Encore, turning it into a true centerfire rifle. NEF is owned by Marlin and their guns are made right here in the USA in Gardner, MA. You can pick up a Sidekick or a Huntsman for as low as $159. (or lower if your lucky).($159 at Cabelas. TC and Knight also make models that can be purchased for around $200. Go to a gun store and look at the Sidekick I think you will be impressed.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Personal choice.
If I had it, I would shoot it. Follow the manual and use common sense.
Several friends of mine shoot the Eclipse and are very pleased.

Check the CVA webite and see if your barrel is included with their recall.
If so, send it back to CVA for update.