Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Austin and Halleck vs knight any suggestions >

Austin and Halleck vs knight any suggestions

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Austin and Halleck vs knight any suggestions

Old 03-08-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Austin and Halleck vs knight any suggestions

I am trying to decide which muzzleloader to buy. I am considering a Austin and Halleck 420, Knight Disc, or Knight Revolution. Any info on these guns would be appreciated. Especially accuracy and any cleaning issues.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Austin and Halleck vs knight any suggestions

All I have READ about the two different rifles is, they are both top quality shooting rifles. There are issues with any rifle you buy that someone finds a pain while another finds no issue at all.

All the guns have to be cleaned. Some just take longer then others. I own a Black Diamond XR which is a great rifle, no question.. but ask anyone that owns a Black Diamond and they will tell you all about cleaning a muzzleloader. Yet look at them close because they can really make those rifles shoot....

I would see which one fits my shoulder and the pull of them. Also check the triggers on the rifles and see which ones you like the best. Also look into which rifle requires special little plastic holders for the primers. After that make your decision. I would base it on accuracy, dependability, company service, warranty, and last how hard it is to clean...

Both are great rifles...
Old 03-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Agree with cayugad.......
Old 03-09-2005, 12:28 PM

Don't know anything personally about the Austin and Halleck but have read it is a very good rifle. I do know something peronally about the Knights and T/C's and they are both excellent companies to deal with. I'm getting away from the Knights because I do not prefer to have to use a carrier for a 209 primer even tho they claim it makes it virtually waterproof. I own a Knight Wolverine, early version and it is one with a #11 cap. I did think about the Knight Revolution but I read a very bad review about it and here is that link: http://www.chuckhawks.com/knight_revolution.htm
Then I got to handle one before making my decision and I had to agree with the review I read about it. I also emailed Knight about one particular issue I read somewhere else regarding blowback and they admitted it was a valid issue only in their first run of the rifles. They have since redesigned the breechplug and either eliminated or seriously cut down on the blowback issue. The Revolution came out late last year and I think I would have to wait for a little while longer for all the bugs to get out of it before I would consider buying it. The T/C Omega design is sort of what brought about the design of the Revolution but the T/C design has been around for several years and is an excellent but kind of expensive choice. Look around, there are a lot of great deals of less fancy but just as accurate and as good quality as the more expensive models. I don't know about A & H's customer service but I do know you can't beat either T/C's or Knight's customer service at this time. Plus, I've just had to deal with Navy Arms for a discontinued rifle and got an immediate response and assistance from them so I'll add them to the T/C and Knight list. Good luck in your decision.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

jonesz2,

You really do need to handle an A&H before you buy it. It is several inches longer that it's counterparts - the barrel is 26" as are the others - there is no "QLA" but the action is a full stoke long type action with an adjustable "Bold" trigger. The sights are quality and they are inletted into the stock very well. It feels a bit barrel heavy, it feels a bit heavy....

All that said it really is a good gun. I own two of them and they shoot great, the weight makes them pretty steady on target and felt recoil is really dampened. They are a Spanish cold drawn barrel but they have been tested - they only come blued or plated nickel.

They are now made with a Universal hammer so you can shoot 209's - #11's - and musket caps. Randy Wakeman has also made a 32 H&R nipple for that really reduces the amount of blowback in the reciever. You can see them in the accessories at the A&H site.

I really believe they are a real good long range gun.

Good luck in your search...
Old 03-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a Knight Disc fan. They are accurate, reliable, and have great triggers.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've HAD an A&H. I STILL own a Knight Bighorn. A&H look pretty in the rack, but I'll take a Knight anyday.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jonesz2

I am trying to decide which muzzleloader to buy. I am considering a Austin and Halleck 420, Knight Disc, or Knight Revolution. Any info on these guns would be appreciated. Especially accuracy and any cleaning issues.
I hunted with a Knight disk last fall. No complants. Got a Revolution in January. Have only shot it once. The disk has killed a pile of deer. I expect the Revolution will do the same.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

After Sept 1st of this year, I would look into a Knight Revolution that was manufactured during the summer of this year. Knight is doing a little tweaking to this new model -- so until then I would wait or consider purchasing the #1 Consumer-Satisfield ML.... the T/C Omega.

I am no longer a fan of bolt-action MLs.... their hey-day has passed. The ML in-crowd/genre now wants less/no moving parts & easy cleaning.