Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabelas Scope

Old 03-04-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Cabelas Scope

My first post here. Two questions actually.I was just wondering if these scopes are any good? Cabelas has a good deal on them. Its called a Pine Ridge.They make a blackpowder kit with mounts,rings and scope for $70.00 Also Ive been shooting a 300 grain TC Shockwave with 80 grains of loose Triple 7 in my Optima Pro with good results at the range. Think Im getting enough velocitey with this load??? Its dropping an inch at 100 yards.Thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas Scope

they are a decent scope wouldnt put it next to a leupold but they are deffinately as good or better then a mid grade bushnell.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

What you're getting is a $50 scope and $20 aluminum rings/base.... not good enough for 300 gr bullets & close-to 100 grains equivalent of Pyrodex/Real Black.

Alot of stores sell a one-piece aluminum ring/base for around $16. You can get a Bushnell Banner Dusk To Dawn 1.5-4.5X32 for around $69 online at Bass Pro .. maybe even Cabelas. It's more shock-resistant than the Cabelas Pine Ridge offering. Mine has handled 80 grains 777 FFF with 405 gr Buffalo conical in my 58-cal sidelock for over 400 firings thus far.

Your present 300 grain TC Shockwave with 80 grains of loose Triple 7 in your Optima Pro should be energy-fine for deer-sized game out to 150 yards max.

Yes... 150 gr loads are more talk than show in most guns. People get excited because average shotgun bores only shoot well to 100 yards unless you invest in rifled barrels & sabots for a measely extra 25-50 yards in "average" gain. Inlines easily conquer 200 yards with only adding around 15 powder grains to those former 140 yard shots.

Put 105 gr 777 FFF in your Optima.... that will reach-out to 200 yards nicely. You can shoot 200 yards with your 80 grains, but foot-pounds in energy at 200 yards are borderline ethical for harvesting deer (my ethics... not the next disputing poster's)
Old 03-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree with Triple Se7en. From all the posts I have read about the Pine Ridge Scopes, they are a love hate relationship. It seems if they work, they work real good. And if they fail they fail terrible. I have never owned one, let me state this. I went with the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn and have shot hundreds of rounds through the rifle with this set up and it is still going strong....
Old 03-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome Okie48!

I'm of the thought that you go with the best optics and mounting hardware you can afford. If that means waiting awhile and saving up some, I will.

I've gone the route with the bargain optics in the past and lifetime warranty means little to me with a cheap scope that fails as you have to re-mount, boresight and range in when it comes back repaired all over again.

If $70 for optics and mounting hardware is your budget then that's ok to a point, as long as you can accept that it's not likely going to perform or last like a better scope package.

Remember, you will also need to pay for installation and boresighting unless you are doing it your self. Add another $25-50 regardless if it's the Pine Ridge or a Swarovski.

Then you have your range time getting things dialed in.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Pine Ridge - some seem to work ok, some go belly up after a short period of time or even right out of the box. Sure Cabela's will replace it, but then you get to go through the whole re-installation and sighting in exercise and costs.

I would suggest saving up for a New Nikon Prostaff, Leupold Rifleman, or Burris Fullfield.

Or, don't forget about auction sites like Ebay and scan for Leupold and Burris Scopes. They have lifetime warranties regardless of the owner and you can often get great deals high quality scopes. I'd rather buy a used Leupold or Burris than I would a new Pine Ridge.

Lastly and regardless of what you choose, I would suggest using a quick release mounting rings like from Leupold, or selecting a scope and mount setup that allows you to leave the sights on the barrel. Then carry a wrench with you for removal during hunts in the event of a failure. Nothing worse than having a scope go belly up at the worst moment and having no way to get the thing off the barrel so you can switch to iron sights.

Good luck, welcome and let us know how things come out.

My .002
Old 03-04-2005, 11:03 AM
bigcountry

I got the 2.5X pine ridge fixed. That poor thing has been passed around like a peace pipe on 4 guns. The MOA adjusments are not very good. I can veiw it thru a boresighter, and it is not smooth and jumps. Also, I had one heck of a time keeping zero with it on two muzzleloaders and one shotgun.

Glare is really bad. so bad I was going to pitch it.

I took it off my ML's and shotgun and it now resides on a 30-30 I have lying around I don't plan on shooting much and never plan to shoot past 50 yards.

I now have a VXII 2-7 on my slug gun, and 1.5-5X29 Vari X III on my muzzleloaders.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I got the 2.5X pine ridge fixed. That poor thing has been passed around like a peace pipe on 4 guns.
LMAO!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 PM

A close friend of mine has been using the pine ridge scope for a
long time. I know when we hunted wild boar, he took a giant at
about 85 yds. If memory serves me, it was around 385lbs. I was
with himwhen he killed a nice 10 pointer at around 125yds. He
shoots an older knight Ml he bought from Cabelas with scope.
So I guess some folks like-em some folks don't. I know there are
better optics out there, but is it not true, that with proper practice,
the average priced ML & scope will kill-em just as dead?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 PM
bigcountry

H2O, where do you hail from? I am from Pike County myself.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:08 AM

Just who makes Pine Ridge scopes anyway ???? Cabela's won't say who it is.