Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hmm...

Old 03-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Default hmm...

I was sighting in my .45 cal wolverine the other day and something very interesting happend. i was shooting 100 grans at 75 yards using a sandbag rest, swabbing between every shot. I shot 3 that were in a good group low and left, i adjusted the scope correctly, i think moved it 12 up and 6 right, i was then high and just a little right with another good group of 3, so i moved it 2 left and 4 down, after doing this i shot 3 more shots and they were in in line with the bullseye virtically but they were all below my first 3.. I just don't get it.. i moved it 12 up, then 4 down.. and its lower than when i started??
Old 03-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default RE: hmm...

Hi,

I'd check to see if the scope mounts were tight first , (hey, it's cheap and easy to do). You don't say what brand of scope you're using, but you may have a problem with turrets not adjusting properly. They might allow some "slack" in the stadia during adjustment. You could possibly test this by making a downward adjustment and going at couple of clicks past what you want, then going back up to the adjustment you want.

Dale
Old 03-02-2005, 07:41 PM

Have a brand new bushnell banner 3-9, just mounted it with weaver top scope bases and steel rings
Old 03-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Great rifle and great scope... strange events for sure. I think I would take it for another spin at the range and see if perhaps the barrel was not getting too fowled... although I doubt that.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

was sighting in my .45 cal wolverine the other day and something very interesting happend. i was shooting 100 grans at 75 yards using a sandbag rest, swabbing between every shot. I shot 3 that were in a good group low and left, i adjusted the scope correctly, i think moved it 12 up and 6 right, i was then high and just a little right with another good group of 3, so i moved it 2 left and 4 down, after doing this i shot 3 more shots and they were in in line with the bullseye virtically but they were all below my first 3.. I just don't get it.. i moved it 12 up, then 4 down.. and its lower than when i started??
==============================================

New ML rifle?..... POI shifts are common occurence!

Always best to shoot around 50 inexpensive, full-bore conicals to smooth out the bore first. Even an older ML may shed a factory rifling burr if it's been fed nothing but plastic sabots.