Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega,yes or no

Old 02-26-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Omega,yes or no

I am contemplating buying a new Omega after i get my new bow.What i would like to know is,should i buy it and what kind of accuracy can i expect from it.Those of you shooting it with excellent results,what kind of loads are you pushing through it?I am looking for honest answers and no brand biases please.Thanks to all
Old 02-26-2005, 04:21 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Omega,yes or no

Sure its a fine ML. I am knight biased but omega is just fine. If I put that much into a ML, probably go ahead and go up to a encore. Go for it.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:16 PM

I have an Omega and just love it. Shoots great and easy to clean, if you are lazy like me it is great.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:26 PM

Hi newman1.

I just purchased a new Omega myself about two weeks ago. I have not shot it yet because of work and the weather but I'm going to try to shoot it tomorrow. I have the stainless laminante version with a Simmons AETEC scope.
Two friends of mine also have an Omega and they shoot the Powerbelt aerotips and hollowpoints (295 grain) and seem to have success with them using two Pyrodex pellets.
This is the load I am going to try if I get to shoot tomorrow. I will try to let you know how it goes.
I thought about the Encore but I already have all the centerfire rifles I need. Everything from Groundhogs to Grizzlies is covered. So that is why I got the Omega.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Thompson Center rifles are without doubt in almost all cases excellent shooting rifles. Their customer service and warranty is second to none. The Omega has rated very high for years in customer satisfaction. It has also been on the market for many years. All the bugs are therefore worked out of it.

A few of the bad points I have read on the Omega is the size of the trigger guard. I still can not understand why T/C has never addressed that issue and made it bigger. Another issue is the dreaded crud ring. The Omega does seem to be prone to that crud ring although I personally feel that is because of their choice of powder and projectile. This new Black Mag3 powder has my interest because they report no crud ring...

The Omega is an excellent selection for an inline black powder rifle. That is not to say other brands also do not have great shooting guns, just that you asked about the Omega.

One poster made an excellent point, he purchased an Omega because he had all the centerfire rifles covered and did not need the Encore. I could not agree more. I purchased a Black Diamond XR because I liked the style of the rifle and the price more then the Omega... I personally love the rifle.

As for the kind of accuracy you can expect? As any of the old shooter will tell you.. that is related to how much work you put into knowing your rifle whether it is a T/C, Knight, even a CVA or any other brand. Also the load you work up and the amount of practice you put into it. For instance I have an old Traditions sidelock rifle that with roundball I could make you really wonder whether or not you would want a roundball rifle instead of an inline after you see it shoot. It took me countless hours of range time and load work to reach that point.

I have read posts that people with Omega Rifles have shot deer at over 300 yards. That is not to say I am telling everyone to shoot that far, but it does go to show that if you work the load up and practice, the rifle is able to do that. So if your a good shot (which you probably are since you are considering a muzzleloader in the first place) and you get hooked in this sport like many of us, you will probably be telling us of 200+ yard shots you are making.

One thing I have always noted about muzzleloader shooters, whether they shoot inlines, sidelocks or even flintlocks... they make their one shot count. Not just once as a lucky person might, but over and over time and time again. That's because we took up this sport for the challenge as well as the fun of these rifles...

You're going to like your rifle and be hooked like the rest of us soot burners...

Old 02-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

I have an Omega and a Traditions Pursuit. I like both of them, I love the Omega. It does take some time to work out a load that will shoot clean. I cannot use Tripple Seven (at least the ffg version) as the crud ring is unbearable. I now shoot either APP or my real prefered powder Black Mag'3. The Black Mag'3 is so good I'm sure people are getting tired of me mentioning it. It is great stuff in my Omega. I would only buy an Encore if I really needed the ability to switch to center fire calibers and they feel different that the Omega also which is not a good thing for me. If possible try to get someone with an Omega to let you feel it, or try one out at a store. People are saying it is too expensive at 25 to 28 dollars a pound. I just saw 777 at a local gun shop for 28 dollars and that stuff does not work for me.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm very happy with my stainless Omega but I also like the Encore too! If you think you would like the option of buying different centerfire barrels, then you may want to give the Encore a serious look. The crud ring on my Omega using 777 is definately noticeable but I can live with it as I have about 1/3 lb of 777 left. I plan to give Black Mag a try in the future and since there is a dealer 40 miles from me.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

Keith-I got to shoot the Omega friday with BlackMag3.Only had time to shoot 6 shots.No swabbing between shots and still loaded OK.I broke the plug loose and screwed it out with my fingers.3 or 4 strokes with a dry toothbrush,and the plug was shiny as new.My Omega will never see 777 again.

Charlie
Old 02-27-2005, 06:46 AM

I have owned both the Encore and Omega and prefer the Omega if what your looking for is a good muzzleloader. Mine actually outperformed my Encore in accruacy. I haven't shot alot of other brands but my experiences with the Omega are fantastic. The first animal I took with mine was a Mule deer in Kansas w/open sights at just under 200yds. I don't know how much was luck but I'll take it. Then I used 150gr Pyrodex and T/C Shockwaves 250gr. I have since switched my powder load to 100gr of 777. From what I've read I would consider trying the Black Mag3 I think it is everyones talking about. Oh yeah reliability in bad weather is also outstanding. I hunted with it in a pouring down rainstorm in Iowa for hours and when it came time to fire it went off without a hitch. I think its a great ML but you make your own decision. I actually just ordered the new one w/ the thumbhole stock (check it out) it feels great. LOL
Old 02-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am contemplating buying a new Omega after i get my new bow.What i would like to know is,should i buy it and what kind of accuracy can i expect from it.Those of you shooting it with excellent results,what kind of loads are you pushing through it?I am looking for honest answers and no brand biases please.Thanks to a
==============================================

Yes... it's a top-tier inline with a top-tier warranty. The only quirks with some is the hollow synthetic butt-stock that needs to weighed-down & sprayed with foam to reduce felt recoil and noisy branches banging against the stock. Or buy the wood version like I did. Another quirk with all is smallish trigger guard. Most hunting gloves work the cocked trigger ... but not the real bulky ones. You may need to buy gloves with shooting fingers.

100 grains with any bullet 240-300 will get you started nicely. I use 777 FFF with mild primers to negate 777 crud rings. I get the powder for $16.20 whenver I buy bulk primers in lots of 1000... thus avoiding the 777 HAZMAT fee that's already attached to the 209 primers.

Quick Reply: Omega,yes or no

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.