Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Vertically string of shoots >

Vertically string of shoots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Vertically string of shoots

Old 03-01-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Vertically string of shoots

I was trying to work up a load for my new encore this weekend. I'm have a problem
with vertically string my shoots two inches off the bullseye. I'm using 295gr powerbelt,
with 100gr 777 powder. I wasn't sure if there was something I can do to correct the problem. I have attached a target, I used red dot to show shoot position.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Mike

Old 03-01-2005, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Vertically string of shoots

I think it goes like this: to correct vertical stringing increase charge a few grains,and to correct horizontal stringing decrease charge a few grains.I think i got it right.If not i'm sure someone will correct
Old 03-01-2005, 02:43 PM

Also you did not say if you were swabbing between shots.not swabbing between shots tends to build more pressure with each shot hence the stringing as well
Old 03-01-2005, 02:47 PM
bigcountry

thats powbelts for ya. I found 200fps velocity spread with em. Lower your charge.

Old 03-01-2005, 02:51 PM

I knew i was wrong[:'(] SORRY!!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 PM
bigcountry

Not that your wrong, he is getting blowby with those crap powerbelts. Has to lower his charge to get his Velocity spreads down or increase his bullet wieght.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:17 PM

Makes sense
Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I believe the replies so far are both correct. You're pushing them too fast I am guessing. Try dropping your charge 10 grains and see if that does not help.

Also as asked, you are swabbing between shots I hope? Since you're shooting Triple Se7en I would also suggest that before you load the powerbelt, pull the plastic button off the bottom. You will see a lead spike on the conical that the plastic slips back on to. Put a drop of lube, oil, spit, what ever.. It will help them shed the button faster and give you better accuracy.

If you are shooting powerbelts because they are slip fit loading, there are other projectiles out there that are slip fit that will give you better accuracy maybe. They are .503 diameter 460 grain No Excuses Conicals. I shoot them with 85 grains of Triple Se7en or Goex 3f and the accuracy is exceptional. With 85 grain, that big chunk of lead has plenty of knock down power also.

No Excuses Concials can be found here. The guy is great to work with.

That is a great rifle your shooting. Give it some time it will come around...
Old 03-02-2005, 02:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I do swab between shots. I use a patch dampen with T/C No. 13 Bore Cleaner and then a dry patch. I hope that's OK. The reason that I was using the powerbelt was because they loaded in the Encore. I had problems with other bullet, sabot combination on the second shot. I'm just trying to find a combination that is consistent, and decent down range performance.

I will try removing the plastic button and lube it. I have also purchased T/C 250gr shockwaves and hornady 300gr XTP. I'm hoping that I can seat them, after the second shot. I will order some of the No Excuses, and try them, but what kind of range does those 460gr have? That's big, almost a lead mine in it's self.

Thanks for all the help!

Mike
Old 03-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe the target is slowly sinking in the mud

75-80 grains of 777 and a 295 gr powerbelt is a good load to try. I get good results with it. That 777 is potent....you don't need to use as much.
Are you letting the barrel cool between shots?

Quick Reply: Vertically string of shoots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.