Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Another powerbelt question >

Another powerbelt question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another powerbelt question

Old 02-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another powerbelt question

Probably been askd here many times, but I am just starting up in the "new" world of ml. I am going to try the powerbelts. For those of you with experience (or random knowledge) are their many benefits to the copper clad over the all lead power belts, if MOST opportunities will be at deer under 100 yards?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another powerbelt question

Lots of Powerbelt lead fragmentation in deer. Makes a huge mess alot of times. The Powerbelts with the least amount of complaints are the copper hollow-points. Least amount of grain size/accuracy problems come with the 348s in 50-cal.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

maineac,

I have not shot a lot of PowerBelts so I am not an expert, but as to your question the copper clad power belts may have a a slight advantage over the pure lead in a couple of areas. In actuallity the copper is so thin it probably adds nothing to expansion or the control of expansion - it may however, benifit the flight of the bullet providing a smoother surface cutting through the air than straight lead. It may also reduce some lead fouling in the barrel, depending on how hard you are pushing the PB out. The heavier the charge the more you will drive the bullet up against the walls of the barrel and then out the barrel.

PowerBelts are expensive but they may be the easiest way to get started, but with a little experiance I am sure you will change your projectile - unless there are state requirements that lock you in somewhat.

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

No state requirements. I am looking for simple, start up, cleaning etc. Muzzleloader here (unless I forgoe cartridge) is an addition of two Sats. I look at it as an opportunity to fill my one tag if I haven't in Bow and rifle. By the way thanks for the input so far.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

maineac,
PowerBelts are expensive but they may be the easiest way to get started, but with a little experiance I am sure you will change your projectile - unless there are state requirements that lock you in somewhat.

Just my 2 cents
Why change the projectile if they work and they are what you like? I have been shooting 295-grain PB Aerotips since they first came out. They are accurate, load easily and hit with authority. Why should I change? Because they cost a few more dollars than some plastic-sabotted pistol bullet that needs hammering down the bore to seat on the powder charge?

I'd love to know why PB's get slammed all the time. I have found them to be superior to sabotted bullets in all respects save price. They might not shoot well out of your M/L, but you have to try several different bullets to see what works and what doesn't. If they work, they are a great bullet going down the bore, coming out the barrel and when they hit what you're aiming at!

Brian
Old 02-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

BDHUNTR ,

My reference to cost goes along with the fact that most people that get into shooting ML's will do more than just hunt with them. I my self probably shoot 1000 rounds a year from my ml's and shooting PB's would not get it - to expensive.

I'd love to know why PB's get slammed all the time. I have found them to be superior to sabotted bullets in all respects save price.
It is all in the eyes of the shooter - I certainly would disagree with your evaluations of sabots and the projectiles that you might use with them vs powerbelts. My hunting partner is forced to use PB's because his barrel is so tight he is unable to get sabots down. I have seen from his experiances a lot of mixed results with PB, from blowing up to no expansion at all and of course a very successful hunt and shoot also.

I would also comment that if you are pounding your sabot and bullet down you are probably using the wrong sabot for the barrel that you have. There are many different thicknesses out there you just need to find the one that works for you.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

I'm personally not a big fan of Powerbelts as I've had difficulty in getting them to group consistant in several different rifle and load combinations.

That said, there are scads of folks that are shooting them with good results. The general consensus is to stick with the heavier powerbelts. in .50 cal 295gr, 348 and so on.

The lead or copper powerbelts will equally work just fine and you should not see copper or lead fouling before 50-100 shots depending on your charge. When fouling does occur, then a brass brush and some good solvent and your back in business.

A powerbelt is also considered a conical.

A good conical is really effective out to 150yards with the right charge combination.

Back before powerbelts and sabots. All I used were large conicals or patch and roundball for bigger game. Killed several dozen deer with them.

If cost is an issue and/or you like to shoot more often, then consider a pre-lubed Conical on top of a lubed felt wad.
They are also easy to load.
A decent conical will really lay the lumber on larger game. I also use them for small game with lower charges.

No Excuses Conical Bullets (50/$20)
Hornady Great Plains Conical Bullet (20/under $10)
Ox-Yoke Wonderwad Felts (50/$5-7)

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks again. Plenty to think about.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:46 PM

I've killed several elk with 348gr PBs. They have always performed well for me. I'll use them until they stop manufacturing them.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:42 PM

Iuse the 295 gr. HP Copper Clad for deer and bear , Trip. 777 , 100gr. powder. Works for me .

Quick Reply: Another powerbelt question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.