Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Another powerbelt question >

Another powerbelt question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another powerbelt question

Old 02-27-2005, 08:04 PM

Default RE: Another powerbelt question

Powerbelts are a good choice for a lot of us; and for some of us they
are a bad choice. It's the nature of the beast; human beast that is.
As for ease of loading, for most ML's, they work great. Some folks
say the gas seal will blowout with magnum powder charges. As for
me they work great. I shoot a 45cal and a 50cal.. the 50 will shoot
PB's ok but I have a lot of fliers. But the 45cal shoots powerbelts
with astounding accuracy. My load combo. is 2-50gr. 777 pellets
195gr. aero-tip powerbelt and remington 209 primer. Good luck hope you will enjoy your ML.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I tried some 245 grain Aero Tip Power Belts the other day out of the CVA Staghorn Magnum. I was shooting 90 grains of Goex 2f, and a Winchester W209 primer. I had never tried this size out of this rifle. The rifle has a RED DOT on it and the only range that was not snowed in was the 30 yard station.

Needless to say, I shot three rounds and had a perfect clover leaf all shots touching in the 10 circle. I decided I would not waste anymore of them with that kind of accuracy.

I figure with that kind of powder charge and that projectile this would make a nice hunting load....
Old 03-05-2005, 07:21 PM

I've been shooting the 295 gr. hollow point Powerbelts for 3 years now and have nothing but good things to say about them. 2" groups at 100 yards and a nasty blood trail (never really needed) in the woods. I always use 100 gr of powder, 150 just beat me up too much. If they work in your rig, use 'em!
Old 03-08-2005, 07:04 PM

maineac,

Power belts have done the job for me.

This is a 295 grain .50 cal powerbelt copper clad Hollow point I recovered from a buck I shot last Muzzleloader season. It was around a 90 yard shot from a steady rest. I was using a Lyman's Great Plains Hunter and 90 grians of Pyrodex RS. The animal was quartering away slightly. I found this bullet lodged behind the far shoulder. The buck ran about 45 yards before he expired, The blood trail was a little spotty for the first 20 yards but was impressive for that last 25. I will agree that the Powerbelts do fragment, I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. The Powerbelts are fairly good shooters out of my gun, I Almost get my shots touching at 50 yards. Hey It was my first Muzzleloader kill. I was very Happy.

Jerry
Old 03-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

The bullet looks like it did exactly what it was supposed to do. Congratulations on the buck and making a nice shot to boot. I bet you will be hunting with powerbelts again in the future....
Old 03-09-2005, 07:54 AM
bigcountry

After those picts from Turkey Addict, I now am very sure I will never use powerbelts again. With XTPs, I get wonderful little mushrooms that don't mushroom too much. With Barnes, same but 100% wieght retention and almost always a passthru.

Much better choices in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

BC,

I really try not to add to controversy to dicussions, but the pictures of PB's that TA posted show me exactly what I thought I knew....

Where is the lead? What is suppose to carry this projectile through the body? What happens if you hit a major bone first? I really hate to say this I sure can see why some people are dis-appointed with the PB and also why T7 recommends copper jacketed PB's. If it wasn't for the copper there wouldn't be anything left.

I know they work for some but, I also know if you have an option their are better projectiles out there. Cayugad and Surveyor both convinced me if I was unable to use sabots - I would have to look very hard at "No Excuse" bullets. I ran the ballistics on them from projected velocities and for a heaviiiiii bullet the act ran out there fairly well.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Hey Big, I see what you mean, nothing left of that bullet. It is the same bullet/weight I shoot.....hum. I never got to see one of mine afterwards because they have all been pass-throughs. I guess I still will use them only because I'm a little more selective on my shots with a smokepole and I never have a shot over 100 yards where I hunt. They shoot well outta my gun but this post has me thinking now.......[]
Old 03-09-2005, 05:11 PM
bigcountry

Aw Allcamo, if they shot well for me, it would be one thing, but they are the only bullet that shot bad in my ML with 95gr of pyrodex, 100gr 777, and 2 pellets 777, and 150gr 777.

But they say they usually do in knights? Who knows. I am just mad I paid 15 dollars for poor results.

I am surprised however. I always heard they didn't expand well. But with that one, it expanded more than well. Before I try another powerbelt, I would try a buffalo ball heavy conical.