Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BP guns blowing up? >

BP guns blowing up?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BP guns blowing up?

Old 02-09-2005, 11:15 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: BP guns blowing up?

if you reload and shoot muzzleloaders on a fairly regular basis you are going to sustain a severe injury that could potentially cost you your life
No bud, are you sure your not a women. You seem to hear what you want to hear. My exact words are sooner or later your going to make a mistake. I was assuming the crowd was smart enough to understand that in rare cases there are injury and most of the time you get out it smarter and better. Anyone that reloads enough has a case lock up in the chamber. It do not mean the gun is going to blow every time, or even 1% of the time. If your going to drive a car, sooner or later you are going to make a mistake. Doesn't mean you are going to be in traction, just means you might have a fender bender, you might end up dead. Dad gone man, I considered that an easy one. It sounds to me that shooting period is a little dangerous for a guy like you with so much to risk. Maybe you can take up nintendo or whatever they do. But then again the EMI exposure could cause you brain cancer.

Lots of people do dangerous work on here Jsmes, so don't feel pregnant. Even I an engineer now, used to work in the coal mines. No big deal. Life is full of chances. Your never safe. Anything can happen at any time. The more people try to control these, the more out of control it becomes.

I just want to know where men's guts are these days. As I say I think Randy's crap is something he has been pushing and seeing it if its there or not. If someone investigated every blew up pistol/rifle/shotgun and sit here and put a story on every one, you would think there was serious danger in something you thought was safe. I have yet to see a modern ML explode but seen shotguns and doublebarrels. I still shoot. Well see where life/chance will take me.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

And read, understand and follow the instructions for your specific rifle.

If you are buying a used rifle, obtian the operation & loading instructions for that model. Also a great idea to have used rifle inspected by a gunsmith or the factory if you are not sure on the condition. There still is nothing for sure.

Many of the rifles being produced TODAY & recently are rated for higher charge usage up to 150gr loose BP. One thing for sure is a fair amount of the older rifles were not rated for 150gr powder.

Unfortunately, with more and more folks shooting ML's every year there will be boneheads that either cannot or will not read or ignor what they have read which will result with more accidents.

With BPI/CVA & Winchester, they did have a run of rifles that were recalled under a "Do not attempt to fire" warning.

Also the lack of cleaning and maintenance can cause dangerous situations.
Residue left down the bore can cause a rise in pressure because the bore becomes smaller as it cakes up. Rough spots (pitting) are created that affect accuracy. Loading becomes difficult forcing you to exert more pressure on the loading rod and increases the possibility of the projectile not seating all the way down. If you are not seating the projectile on the powder and leaving a space, you are creating your own pipe bomb.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:21 AM
bigcountry

Triple777, I thought short seating does not cause a problem with ML. I thought blackpowder would build less peak pressure with a short seated projectile than a tight one. But as smokeless, the tighter the prectile the more pressure and faster burning it is.

Reason I say that, I had a hard time switching to sabots from my sidelock years ago. I insisted on using maxiballs in my inline. I kept having issues with the maxi falling off the load. Once while getting out to the stand lowering my gun barrel down, a maxi went all the way to the bore. Well anyway, it was fired before with a short seated load. But "experts" in the ML industry told me peak pressure would be less in that situation. I may be wrong.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

if you reload and shoot muzzleloaders on a fairly regular basis you are going to sustain a severe injury that could potentially cost you your life
No bud, are you sure your not a women. You seem to hear what you want to hear. My exact words are sooner or later your going to make a mistake. I was assuming the crowd was smart enough to understand that in rare cases there are injury and most of the time you get out it smarter and better. Anyone that reloads enough has a case lock up in the chamber. It do not mean the gun is going to blow every time, or even 1% of the time. If your going to drive a car, sooner or later you are going to make a mistake. Doesn't mean you are going to be in traction, just means you might have a fender bender, you might end up dead. Dad gone man, I considered that an easy one. It sounds to me that shooting period is a little dangerous for a guy like you with so much to risk. Maybe you can take up nintendo or whatever they do. But then again the EMI exposure could cause you brain cancer.

Lots of people do dangerous work on here Jsmes, so don't feel pregnant. Even I an engineer now, used to work in the coal mines. No big deal. Life is full of chances. Your never safe. Anything can happen at any time. The more people try to control these, the more out of control it becomes.

I just want to know where men's guts are these days. As I say I think Randy's crap is something he has been pushing and seeing it if its there or not. If someone investigated every blew up pistol/rifle/shotgun and sit here and put a story on every one, you would think there was serious danger in something you thought was safe. I have yet to see a modern ML explode but seen shotguns and doublebarrels. I still shoot. Well see where life/chance will take me.
More than likely coal dust has affected and clouded your judgement, maybe a lack of oxygen to the brain, so I will try and keep this short and to the point. If you would like to come on up here and check out my manhood I coordially invite you. It seems you are an authority on things like that.
My point is and always has been, if there are substandard products out there people should know about it. To tell someone if they shoot muzzleloaders and reload enough they are going to make a mistake, makes me wonder if you should be allowed to even own firearms. If your knuckles don't drag on the ground and you stick to tried and true safety practices there shouldn't be any mistakes. You on the other hand. " probably will sooner or later make a mistake".
Old 02-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

FYI
WARNING:

DO NOT USE CVA IN- LINE RIFLES WITH
95 OR 96 SERIAL NUMBERS
SERIOUS INJURY MAY RESULT
RECALL REMINDER

In 1997, Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc., voluntarily implemented a recall of in-line muzzleloading rifles manufactured in 1995 and 1996. If you currently own or possess a CVA in-line rifle with a 95 or 96 serial number, or you purchased one or gave it or sold it to another person, and the barrel has not been replaced, you should contact a Company Representative immediately by calling the customer service number below:

1-770-449-4687(8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST)

To identify the rifle, read the serial number on the barrel opposite the firing bolt. The only CVA rifles subject to the voluntary recall are in-line models with serial numbers ending with the last two digits of 95 or 96. No other firearm models within the CVA product line are affected by the voluntary recall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets of Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. in May, 1999. Blackpowder Products, Inc. assumed no liability for any product manufactured or sold prior to January 1, 1998. Blackpowder Products, Inc. is continuing the Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. recall, and will cover all related shipping and repair charges. Please do not return your in-line rifle before contacting a Company Representative at the above customer service number.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:58 AM
bigcountry

I may be wrong but I think this is a different issue than this thread was talking about.

These were known defects. I got a ad showing recal of remington rifles over safety. It was known, it was delt with.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:06 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I don't know if I agree that you WILL sustain a severe injury, but I will say that there is always a chance to make a mistake. Case in point:

I had just finished dropping two 50-grain Pyrodex pellets down the barrel when my friend called me over to check something out on his Encore. After a minute or so, I came back to my rifle, and while we continued to talk, I absent-mindedly dropped an additional two pellets down the bore, then seated a 295-grain Powerbelt Aerotip on top of the charge. I capped the nipple, aimed and fired. When I picked my dumb arse off the ground (as the recoil blew me off the seat of the bench), I was in a semi-state of shock. It took a while to figure out that I had actually shot a 200-grain charge. Thankfully I suffered no injury, and upon a phone call to Remington, I found out that a one-time overload like this one should not have caused any harm to the rifle, as the barrel and receiver have been tested at higher than specified loads, just-in-case an idiot like me did what I did.

However, it does go to show that, with one minor lapse in critical thinking, disaster can be right around the corner.

That is why I always handload for centerfires away from wives, kids, TV, radio and any other distraction. I never want to make an error with smokeless!

Brian
Old 02-09-2005, 01:27 PM

Thank God the gun you were shooting was manufactured to handle such an oversight. Not all of them out there are made that way and people should know about it. When it comes to firearms there is no such thing as an over abundance of safety. Awareness is the key, so if people like Randy Wakeman are beating a drum for too long, I applaud them!!
Jim B.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:42 PM
bigcountry

More than likely coal dust has affected and clouded your judgement, maybe a lack of oxygen to the brain, so I will try and keep this short and to the point. If you would like to come on up here and check out my manhood I coordially invite you. It seems you are an authority on things like that.
My point is and always has been, if there are substandard products out there people should know about it. To tell someone if they shoot muzzleloaders and reload enough they are going to make a mistake, makes me wonder if you should be allowed to even own firearms. If your knuckles don't drag on the ground and you stick to tried and true safety practices there shouldn't be any mistakes. You on the other hand. " probably will sooner or later make a mistake".
Again, I think most posters on here will see what I actually wrote. You assume things like my exwife, so I was wondering if you are a women and hear what you want to hear. I could care less about your manhood and I make it a point never to go to NJ. Anyplace with jughandle turns, I got to wonder why hasn't people taken up arms and marched to the state capital and demanded some intelligence. So I guess your out of luck.

Can anyone else that reloads quite a bit, like briman, or somebody with some experience verify, that yes, mistakes happen. I don't like them. Nobody does. Are you saying you have never made a reloading or shooting mistake?

BD hunter has admitted to something that is quite common in ML. I mean one day your having an off day.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:46 PM
bigcountry

I applaud them!!
But don't you think we as americans have taken safety way too far? Made people scared to leave thier houses. I guess what i am saying is, there's such a thing as putting too much fear in people.

For example when I was working on roofs, for a while, I used every safety gear known. Several people warned me that, there was too much of a good thing, and if I kept up worrying about falling, it would probably happen. There is a nice balance that needs to be met.

Quick Reply: BP guns blowing up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.