Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 hows your free handed shooting >

hows your free handed shooting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hows your free handed shooting

Old 02-06-2005, 06:48 AM

Default hows your free handed shooting

my friends and i got out and done some shooting yesterday. After all thoes bads shots we made this season we decided to do some practice while the image of that big buck was still clear . After the first few shots were fired from each gun we could see the problems some of us had, my brotherinlaws TC black Diamond had a lose base mount ,bobs knight was hitting 5 or 6 inches to the right after he had a atv wreck and mine was hitting a little low but still in the kill zone. The best worst shots were when we tried to hit a paper plate at a 100 yards free handed. Shooting from a bench using a vice is fine for setting the scope but try a few rounds standing with no rest and see how good your pattern is . I know that if i shoot at a deer over 40 yards or so i have to get some kind of rest or face a bad shot and the rest of the crowd done about the same. I tried some different bullets that were left from last season that one of the other shooters had ,they were the dead center bullets .I made one shot at a 4x4 target at 50 yards just to see were it hit then moved back to 100yards and tried it again ,i adjusted my scope and cleaned the barrel and shot a few more just to make sure i was on target then after cleaning again we moved back a little more.This time after everone was convinced they could make the shot at a 100 we tried to do it at 200 using the rest on the table ,we done fair but free handed we need help bad. The dead center bullets i tried done very well and i hit a paper plate 3 shots in a row with about a 6 in group at 200 with the help of the shooting vice without it i was only able to hit the plywood about a foot away from the target. LOOKS LIKE A LONG SUMMER OF PRACTICE SHOOTING COMING UP, I CAN'T WAIT !
Old 02-06-2005, 07:31 AM

Default RE: hows your free handed shooting

FWIW, a heavy rifle usually makes significant improvements in off hand shooting accuracy, and I like heavy rifles for this reason...always replace my ramrods with solid brass or solid stainless rods to get a lot more weight out front...muzzles just hang on the target, helps a lot.
(To avoid muzzle/crown damage, I use plastic muzzle guides from Builder's Supply and while hunting, have one in my pocket to use during a reload...light, quiet, etc)
Old 02-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

roundball is right on as usual. I also like a heavy barrel muzzleloader for free hand shooting. They just seem to balance better. My .58 caliber Green Mountain rifle with roundball seems to do the best free hand because of the barrel length and extra weight.

For excellent targets, I was given the idea on a different forum and now it is all I use for most of the shooting I do, I buy a pack of 3"x5" index cards. They come in all colors also. I draw a simple X from corner to corner and then try and shoot for the center of the card. Tape that to some cardboard and you have a very respectable target.

I also started doing more free hand shooting now after a lesson humility one afternoon with friends. We were bench shooting as usual and then I suggested free hand shooting at that card. We all thought such a big target was easy until we started shooting. At 50 yards, I missed that card once out of three shots and the other two you could not call a group by any means. Some of the others could not hit that card free hand shooting at 50 yards on their first attempts. Like I said, a real lesson in humility.

That is one reason I always carry shooting sticks with me when I hunt. When I take to a stand or even decide to sit and scope an area for fifteen or twenty minutes, I open the sticks to the right hight and have an instance solid shooting platform. This simple little one minute job has payed off big time in filling the freezer and adding confidence to my shooting.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:51 AM

I am new to muzzleloading and have not even shot my ML yet. As we speak right now I have my ML at the gunsmith's shop to have a scope put on, and boresighted. I do however have experience shooting long distance. While in the Marine Corps, my weapon that I was taught with was the M-16A2. We were taught to shoot 200, 300, and 500 meters. At the 200 meter line, we would have to shoot offhand. What was taught to all Marines was to use the sling. Take your sling that you have on your ML rifle and wrap it once or twice around your arm. Take your arm that you have wrapped in the sling and tuck it into your body. With the sling wrapped and your arm tucked this provides pressure to your weapon into your body--which will provide a more stable base to support your weapon. I have been out for a decade, but the training still stays with me today. This also worked for me when I would fire my M-249 SAW in the offhand position.

I know that the ML you have is not the same as the M-16 or light machine gun, but the principles are still the same.

Paul
Old 02-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

little-d ...................... you're right on in the fact that "practice makes perfect". AND it's a WHOLE lotta fun too.

I shoot my Knight EXACTLY as newhunter35 describes and it just works like a charm for me. I don't know if it's the sling, the balance of the gun, or maybe even just me - but that USAK just holds dead still when I hold it up like that. Last week I shot a postal match with the target below. I took one fouling shot to prep the barrel and then 2 shots at the target off-hand at 40yds, using the 3X power on my scope. I had wanted to do more shooting................but didn't need to.

Dead Tigers
Old 02-06-2005, 08:39 PM

Just between you and I, Mark, 40 yards is too close to be standing with tigers when you plan on a one punch fight. [:-]
Old 02-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

What can I say I live on the edge!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Freehand or commonly referred as "Off/Hand" shooting is much tougher.

As mentioned, a heavier rifle is very beneficial for maintaining stability and control.

I always need more practice off/hand shooting.

Cayugad, I'm going to have to try the 3x5" index cards. Sounds like a good, effective and inexpensive shooting approach.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:53 AM

At the range I ususally shoot off a bench to figure out where the gun is shooting. Then I'll stand and use one of the poles holding up the roof for a "rest". Works like a tree when hunting. I don't know good my off-hand shooting is - but it's good enough that I eat venison every year.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 AM

The best thing I can say for practice is get a 22 thats the same weight and the ammo is cheap. Allowing you to shoot a LOT. THe principles of the shot will all be the same. In my highpower practice for matches I'd often shoot 20-100 rounds each evening in the yard at 50 yards. It makes a lot of difference. 5000 rounds of 22 ammo is affordable also. And you won't be wearing out your other guns.

Of course closer to season you need to shoot the real thing a bit too.

Jeff

Quick Reply: hows your free handed shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.