Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech plug lube

Old 01-30-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Breech plug lube

Can Anyone recommend a breech plug lube??

Has anyone tried Thompson Center's breech plug tape??

Thanks
Old 01-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Breech plug lube

I have tried the tape and it works but I still do not trust it. I have to have more range sessions before I really depend on it. The best breech plug grease I have ever used is made by CVA. It is called, CVA Slick Nipple And Breech Plug Grease. This is the only brand I have ever used and after shooting the breech plug came out without problems.

One other point is, when shooting some of the hot powders like Triple Se7en, after your seventh shot or so, take your breech plug tool and turn the breech plug. You do not have to remove it, just turn it back and fourth. That will insure that the plug is not seizing in the rifle and it will aid in the removal. Also if like some you shoot at a range some distance from your home, take the breech plug out of your rifle at the range instead of leaving it in your rifle and driving 45 minutes or so. It will help in the removal of the plug also. Carry a plastic zip lock bag and you can put the dirty plug, nipple, striker, etc in there to keep every thing clean. It does not hurt to run a few good wet patches through the barrel before the trip home for cleaning either.....

Try the CVA. Also a lot of people are having luck with Slick 50 One grease, which is an automotive grease. You can buy it at any Wal Mart. I have a tube of it but have not used it yet......
Old 01-31-2005, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use gorilla grease and it has worked well.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Permatex automotive anti-seize for me.
Cures all your ills.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:37 AM

Permatex® Anti-Seize Lubricant from a auto parts store to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F. Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant . it works good for me
Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

CVA Breechplug & Nipple Grease has anti-heat properties similar to the 2400* nickel/nuclear stuff. Put it on all threads... screw it in - take it out - re-lather.. then hand-tighten. The purpose of that is to ensure enough grease is on both bore threads & plug threads when using hot, magnum loads of 777. If magnum loads of 777 is what you use, then while at the range, loosen - then hand-tighten every 10 shots.

Using any other powder like Pyrodex, Goex?... put it on the threads & forget about it until you're done shooting. Then immediately after your last shot... while the barrel is still toasty-warm, loosen the plug two complete turns until you get the rifle home.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:06 AM

I've been using Gorilla Grease. Is this automotive stuff less expensive?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Allegiance05,

I have really moved away from the greases and other messy products and have gone strickly to tape... If it is applied correctly it will provide you all the slip and protection you need for continuios shooting.

Follow this link -

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/php...ic.php?t=39309

Again it works for me with the guns I am using but you need to make you own evaluations...
Old 01-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

I've not used the tape and likely will not unless I see that there is a substantial gain in performance and function other than cleanup. I think there may be a greater opportunity to have the tape pushed from between threads.

Basically any high temperature anti-seize lube should work fine.

I've used the T/C , CVA and Knight natural lubes with good results.

I'm presently using Birchwood/Casey Choke tube lube. I got a good deal and four tubes of the stuff at a recent gun show. Seems to work very well.

As mentioned, loosen the breech plug or nipple ever 6-10 shots to ensure that a nothing is seizing up. Clean and relube after 30 or so shots.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rick_reno

I've been using Gorilla Grease. Is this automotive stuff less expensive?

Is $3 expensive?

Quick Reply: Breech plug lube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.