Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech plug lube

Old 02-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Breech plug lube

sabotloader

Just wondering is the breech tape you mentioned in the link not the same as industrial plumber teflon tape (Pink stuff)? I have used this prior and worked fine, just curious.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

skeeter 7MM,

It is! - I now buy my tape at Home Depot - lot less expensive that TC tape...
Old 02-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

AJ52,

I have this belief that you need to stop the blowback at the face of the breech plug. If it screws up snugly against the rear of the barrel so that gas can not pass back through the threads, if you achieve this seal your blowback problems will be nonexistant. The big deal is to get this seal... When I was using the greases I would put a light coat (ring) around the face of the BP (and the threads) to help provide this seal - that really was kind of useless because the grease at that temperature will not provide a seal, but it certainly will go forward into the barrel.

The tape has provided the answer for me, with the overwrapping of the plug a seal is almost guaranteed and as the first shot drives excess tape back into any void where I might not get a seal.. I virtually do not want any blowback in the threads of the breech plug.

Just a theory but so far it is working...
Old 02-03-2005, 05:36 PM

just use a little bore butter on the threads. it all you need. been doing this for years.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

green01,

I really do wish it were that easy with all guns... If my theory is correct you are getting the breech plug seal I am talking about so you are not getting blowback back through the threads of the BP. What kind of gun are you shooting?

Those people that do not recieve this seal, either with a finger tight BP or BP that is not machined to match the barrel flange and are shooting large loads of T7 MAY not find bore butter as an answer - it can not handle the heat.

I have read in different posts several people using BB as BPlug lube and if it works don't fix it - but there are a lot more people out there fighting stuck breech plugs all time.

Just my two cents....
Old 02-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, figured as much but never seeing it here at any hunting shops yet thought I'd ask.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:44 PM

sabotloader i use a t/c 50 cal., traditions 50 cal. and i am working with a new frontier mag. i have had the first two for years. all i have every used was the bore butter. but i don't shoot them today and wait days to clean them. i clean them the same day i use them. if i had one that leaked presser threw the breech plug threads i would be shipping it back the factory. sounds like the plugs are made at one location and the barrels are coming from another. anyway you look at it it is a poor design that should be corrected. you should not need anything on the threads to seal.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:12 PM

I use VersaChem ANTI-SEIZE. It can be purchased at most auto-supply stores. Never had any problems with it .
Old 02-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Everytime I see a post reference this topic, it always amazes me at the different ways that people use to protect the breech plugs from seizing. Good to know there are other alternatives when the one you are using no longer works for you.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:59 PM
bigcountry

I have considered the tape. How do you guys tape? Do you just tape most of the threads or go all the way out past the threads? I have seen some people really take the crap out of em. Some savage guys go past the threads I seen.

Quick Reply: Breech plug lube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.