Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech plug lube

Old 01-31-2005, 02:56 PM

Default RE: Breech plug lube

I use TC Super Lube and have had no problems.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:55 AM

You may all think I'm an idiot, but all I have ever used for breech plug lube on my Remington 700 MLS is good ol' Bore Butter or Remington Wonder Lube (same thing), and I have had zero problems with breech plug removal. I like it because, for the most part, I know it will not contaminate the powder and cause possible mis- or hangfires.

Brian
Old 02-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't dare try Bore Butter or T/C Lube with magnum powder charges of 777. Plenty of posts on seized plugs using those methods.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Ditto!

Don't use anything that is not designed for high-temp/anti-seize.

Unless, you like the idea of a seized/frozen breech plug or nipple.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't remember how much it is - but comes in 10 oz plastic bottle with brush applicator. Made by "Versa Chem" or any other name brand at local auto store. It's Hi-Temp Copper based thread lube(2000 Deg F). There is also a low temp application up to 1600 Deg F. It will last you lifetime on smoke pole plugs,not to mention automotive applications requiring high temp thread lube. I bought it years ago for exhaust manifold jobs and then started using on breach plug when using Black Powder. Never had a problem with auto related parts or breech plugs using any type of powder.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

BDHUNTR,

I for one do not think "ill" of your Bplug lube... I have two remington's myself and both of them make the seal necessary at the face of the breech plug with the flange on the rear of the barrel. As long as this seal remains tight and gasses do not escape the back through the threads you will be just fine. In a lot of other rifles this seal is not machined as well as the Remington and then your ideas might take a hit.

Continued good luck with your Remington.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

AJ52,

I have used both copper and aluminum based anti sieze products at one time or another but have since quit - I found that I was shooting some of these particles right into the bore lands/grooves of my rifles. When I dropped the bore scope in looking at the breech area they were quite obvious - filling the bore with copper or aluminum particles didn't seem like a smart thing to do...

Switching to the tape took care of all of those problems + never contaminate powder with oils or greases... make clean-up a lot easier also.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader,

I've noted in prior posts you use the tape. l'm gonna give it a try soon,see how it works.

I'm not suggesting you didn't apply properly - but - I use just enough antiseize to barely cover threads. I've never had evidence of residue in breech area(with a bore light). I use the same stuff (as recommended) on spark plugs,exhaust manifold bolts etc...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best I have used is the Slick50 ONE grease. Seems to work well in all my rifles. Adding tape provides further insurance but the grease alone is doing the job for me.

Quick Reply: Breech plug lube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.