Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powerbelt Performance >

Powerbelt Performance

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt Performance

Old 01-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Powerbelt Performance

Well that bullet was from the second shot,I hit that elk the evening before and unfortunatly I hit him back too far[:@][:'(][][:-](shot was about 75 yards opened sights,free hand no rest,and a very HIGH heart rate!) found him still alive the next morning after a 2 1/2 hour search in some thick pines,after the second shot he just stood there and after a few seconds he went about 10 feet and fell! Shot was a double lung and hit solid rib in and out and lodged just under the skin.That elk looked mighty BIG stairing at me at 25 yards[]
Old 01-29-2005, 06:28 PM

Sounds like some folks ain't happy with less'n 100 grains of powder. The U. S. Army got along fine with 60 to 70 grains behind a .50 caliber conical. Now if your rifle don't like the bullet that's all you gotta say.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:45 PM
bigcountry

That's not the fault of the Powerbelt copper hollow-point. That's not a performance issue with the bullet itself either. Powerbelts were designed prior to 3-pellet use in muzzleloaders. 120-150 grains was never Powerbelt-intended due to the integrity of the plastic cup/base. Many folks using 110-120 grains with Powerbelts load the cup with Bore Butter to substantially reduce blowby & maintain accuracy.

Also... depends on the rifle bore diameter too! Knight Rifles are overbore.... not a good choice for Powerbelts in those rifles unless you slow the bullet down first. Using 348 & 405 gr Powerbelts in Knights seems to work best.
As I said, I don't like a bullet with limitations and cost like that. Just a opinion. I have only shot one deer with the 150gr load. But dozens with 95gr combos in the past. Its not that I like to push the envelope. Just like the option of better speeds if I want.

slamfire, please reread my post, I said it shot ok with low powder loads.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

MLKeith: There are no Black Mag 3 dealers in Texas and I don't feel like paying the Hazard materials fee. However, I have an APP dealer near my home, so I will start with that and see.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

txhunter: That would be my next choice. Personally I paid the hazmat fee and bought four pounds not knowing how I was going to like it. Now I wish I had spread the hazmat fee over about ten pounds. APP will work well for you but you might consider using the fffg rather than the ffg as the ffg is pretty large grains and most have better luck with the fffg.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:36 PM

I have been shooting the PB out of my CVA Firebolt and Traditions Deerhunter for about 3 years now. Usually I shoot the 295 Aerotip PB. In my Deerhunter with a 1:48 twist, they shoot great out to 100 yards. With the CVA 1:28 twist, I have shot 2 does and they did not go far after penatration. But at the range, my groups are not as tight as I would like out of the CVA. I picked up some Buffalo Ballets 270 grain and I hope I will get some better groups from them. The PB's are also more expensive but I will continue to use them as well during this years seasons.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Powerbelt copper HP and Aero tips shot out of two .50 T/C couldn't hit broad side of barn with any load combo! One T/C was mine and other was buddys gun. We tryed every load down to 95 gr until we gave up. I gave mine away. We finally found a Precsion poly tip that gave his gun 1/2 - 1" groups at 65yrds, free hand BTW.

Having said all that I use a .45 cal PB Aero in my Knight only for 2nd,3rd shots due to its easy slip fit. It shoots great! Go Figure.

PB's are a love hate bullet. Heard it here on occasion and in the field.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

What powder were you using? Loose or pellets? I have heard people have an easier time using straight pyrodex. However, 777 is so much easier to clean, I was determined to find a good load for powerbelts. My brother and I have identical guns: stainless Omegas. With 348 gra aerotips, I can only get accuracy with 90 grains, while my brother's gun does well with 110.

If I were shooting a 295, I would start with 85 grains and work up. For deer sized game, that is more than plenty of power and would be equivalent to about 100 gr of pyrodex.

However, because of the crud ring issue, I am going to try APP and cooler 209's.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

What powder were you using? Loose or pellets? I have heard people have an easier time using straight pyrodex. However, 777 is so much easier to clean, I was determined to find a good load for powerbelts. My brother and I have identical guns: stainless Omegas. With 348 gra aerotips, I can only get accuracy with 90 grains, while my brother's gun does well with 110.

If I were shooting a 295, I would start with 85 grains and work up. For deer sized game, that is more than plenty of power and would be equivalent to about 100 gr of pyrodex.

However, because of the crud ring issue, I am going to try APP and cooler 209's.
I hear this a lot, that T7 is "easier to clean than Pyrodex." I guess I am missing something, as I actually had a harder time cleaning T7 out of my Remington than I ever did cleaning Pyrodex. All I use is hot, soapy water followed by a rinse with boiling water down the bore. Ten, fifteen minutes tops and I'm done.

This is not a putdown of T7. I tried it and I didn't like it that much, but a lot of people seem to really get good results from it. Good for them. But if you still use Pyrodex and PB's, you are still shooting a great bullet, IMHO.

Brian