Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ever had this happen? >

Ever had this happen?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ever had this happen?

Old 01-18-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Ever had this happen?

This past weekend was my last weekend for deer hunting for this season.
I got an Optima Pro a couple months ago with the Pine Ridge scope 2.5x7
Had it all sighted in and was really looking forward to taking a deer with it.
It was cold in Iowa this past weekend, about -9 on Sat morning.
Myself and 3 hunting partners decided it was too cold to sit in our stands so we were going to do some small drives.
I was the only one using a ML.
I pushed the first two spots but I did shoulder the rifle a couple times just to see how it came up with all the clothes I had on. Everything was fine.
On the third drive I dropped 2 of them off at the north end of a big woodlot and took the truck and Larry to the other end.
We were going to block the end as the other two walked thru.
I told Larry I'd take the far end where it is really thick.
I turned the power on the scope down to 2.5
I was only about 30 yards into the woods and a nice doe stood up and looked at me, I thought PERFECT!
I shoulder the gun and my crosshairs, instead of being like they should be + they are like this x!
Thinking quick I thought maybe if I turned the power back up they would go back to +
The scope was not turned in it's rings.
I hoped that if the center had not moved, it would still be on target.
40 yard,broadside shot,aimed right behind the shoulder,about 2" lower than normal because I have it sighted in for 100 yards.
BOOM!
Deer flags and runs off!
I run back to my truck and lay the disabled ML on the seat and grabbed my 12 gauge and a handfull of slugs.
I hurry to the other side and about 3 minutes later shoot a nice doe at about 45 yards.
On Sunday while cleaning the gun and removing the scope to send back to Cabela's for a replacement, I turn it all the way up to 7 power,felt a little resistance at about 5 power, look thru the scope and everything is back to +
Needless to say I was very peed off about not being able to take my last deer of the season with my new gun!
That's only the 2nd deer I've ever shot with a shotgun in 25 + years of hunting.

Any of you ever had a scope do that?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ever had this happen?

Sorry to hear about the bum luck. Sometimes (especially w/ less expensive scopes) the scope can not handle the repeated heavy recoil and the rings will come loose. On the less expensive scopes (no matter what brand) the cross hairs are glued in, this is unlike the more expensive scopes that have the x hairs welded in or both glued and welded in.

The Bushnell 3200 has them glued in but the 4200 has them welded in as an example. I own numerous of both type and over a lot of years have had a few problems with the less expensive scopes though not very many and never when it was new. I am unfamiliar with the scope you have bought so I don't know if this is the case or not.

Sometimes things are just messed up and not manufactured right (faulty or weak from the box) and it may not be typical of that brand of scopes. I always try to get the best my budget will allow as in my mind your sighting system (scope, peep sight etc) is the back bone of any rifle.

My 2 cents
Eric
Old 01-18-2005, 09:42 PM

The scope is a Cabela's Pine Ridge that they sell on almost all of their ML/scope combos.
You can bet that as soon as I get my replacement I'll be taking it out in the cold and see if it does this too.
I would think that they would test them under hunting conditions and that includes very cold weather!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have had a few low-end scopes that were belly up when I needed them most.
I'm shooting only Leupold, Zeiss and Burrs now.
That said. I am also using Leupold Quick Release rings on everything that I could still leave the iron sights on. If a scope craps out in the field, I want to be able to get the POS off the weapon so that I can continue the hunt and not move from my spot.

I've have heard more than a few grumbles about the Pine Ridge Scopes.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Buellhunter.. I have read a lot of different posts on the Cabela's Pine Ridge scopes. From what I have read, you either have a good one or a piece of junk. Some claim the things are sturdy, accurate and very clear. Other talk about all the problems they have with them. For that reason, although the price was right on them, I refused to consider them when scope shopping.

I personally do not buy big dollar scopes, but I do get brand name scopes. I look for eye relief, clearity, and warranty. So far I am shooting Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scopes and have not had any problems with them. Others claim they do not like them. I can not say enough good about the one on my Black Diamond XR.

Its a shame the scope had to do that to you, but that is all part of the sport too. Better luck with the next one..
Old 01-19-2005, 11:54 AM

Sorry to hear about your bum luck, too. My son-in-law just had the same thing happen to him, too. He bought a Traditions from Wally World that had a scope already on it although I'm not sure who makes it for them. He missed a nice buck with his, too because of a scope malfunction. He has replaced that scope with a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn at my suggestion.

I'm going to have to agree with cayugad on the Bushell Banner Dusk to Dawn series. I never bought expensive scopes and use to only use the Bushnell Sportview or Sportsman series until I bought a used left handed 6mm Remington that had a straight 6x Bushnell Banner already on it. I really like that 6x Banner so I have bought other Banners in both straight powers and a couple 1.5 to 5 variables. I've been told that the Banner line is Bushnell's middle to upper class in their scope products. I think there are two Bushnell's of higher quality and one of them is the Trophy series that my son has on a Ruger 10/22 in 3 - 9 x 40. Overscoped if you ask me but try telling my 20 year old knuckleheaded son that. I don't see any difference between my Banners and his Trophy but he tells me not only can't I see but I'm tone deaf, too. I tried to talk my 25 year old son-in-law out of buying the Traditions in that package deal but he's a knucklehead, too. I'm not bad mouthing the Traditions but he didn't need all that it came with and he's not using everything he paid for. Plus, the scope turned out to be worthless. Gotta love kids!

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a BSA Deer Slayer scope on my Knight Woverine and it's not an expensive scope but has worked well for me. One thing you might consider is to use see through mounts just in case you have a problem in the field then you could use your iron sights as a back up. I use see throughs on all my scoped rifles. Just my 2 cents worth.............Happy Huntin
Old 01-19-2005, 06:19 PM

Well if I was smart I would've sighted it in with the sights and then mounted and sighted the scope.
If I had done that, I could've just pulled the scope and used the sights last weekend.
I will be doing this next time.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:21 AM

You guys have me worried. I have a Cabela's Pine Ridge on my Omega. I was a little concerned about not buying a name brand scope but was assured that Cabela's wood stand behind them 100%. Has anyone had any problem returning them? Anybody Know who makes them for Cabela's?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing you might consider is to use see through mounts just in case you have a problem in the field then you could use your iron sights as a back up. I use see throughs on all my scoped rifles.
The QR mounting systems are a much better route to take for this purpose. A see thru mount while it seems practical, often causes the scope to be mount too high for most shooter making the cheek placement not optimal which affects accuracy. Equally important thing to consider is the design of see thru mounts is weak/compared to other mounting systems and can cause POI shifts even on milder recoil rifles. IME the see thru's where impossible to hold zero between season, something I have not experienced with many other mounts.

Quick Reply: Ever had this happen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.