HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever had this happen?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Buellhunter

Default Ever had this happen?

This past weekend was my last weekend for deer hunting for this season.
I got an Optima Pro a couple months ago with the Pine Ridge scope 2.5x7
Had it all sighted in and was really looking forward to taking a deer with it.
It was cold in Iowa this past weekend, about -9 on Sat morning.
Myself and 3 hunting partners decided it was too cold to sit in our stands so we were going to do some small drives.
I was the only one using a ML.
I pushed the first two spots but I did shoulder the rifle a couple times just to see how it came up with all the clothes I had on. Everything was fine.
On the third drive I dropped 2 of them off at the north end of a big woodlot and took the truck and Larry to the other end.
We were going to block the end as the other two walked thru.
I told Larry I'd take the far end where it is really thick.
I turned the power on the scope down to 2.5
I was only about 30 yards into the woods and a nice doe stood up and looked at me, I thought PERFECT!
I shoulder the gun and my crosshairs, instead of being like they should be + they are like this x!
Thinking quick I thought maybe if I turned the power back up they would go back to +
The scope was not turned in it's rings.
I hoped that if the center had not moved, it would still be on target.
40 yard,broadside shot,aimed right behind the shoulder,about 2" lower than normal because I have it sighted in for 100 yards.
BOOM!
Deer flags and runs off!
I run back to my truck and lay the disabled ML on the seat and grabbed my 12 gauge and a handfull of slugs.
I hurry to the other side and about 3 minutes later shoot a nice doe at about 45 yards.
On Sunday while cleaning the gun and removing the scope to send back to Cabela's for a replacement, I turn it all the way up to 7 power,felt a little resistance at about 5 power, look thru the scope and everything is back to +
Needless to say I was very peed off about not being able to take my last deer of the season with my new gun!
That's only the 2nd deer I've ever shot with a shotgun in 25 + years of hunting.

Any of you ever had a scope do that?