Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barrel leading

Old 01-15-2005, 03:16 PM

Default barrel leading

whats the best way to clean a barrel with leading.
I'm guessing with the Blackdiamond XR's 1:20 twist, leading might be a common problem. I'll be shooting the NO EXCUSES conical
Old 01-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: barrel leading

Look at different solvents on the market. Note the ones that remove lead, copper and plastic fowling. I use Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber 2-in-1 bore cleaner. It removes everything. I get a good brass bore brush. On my Black Diamond, after I have it "clean" I then soak a patch and really coat the bore of the barrel with the solvent. I change over to the brush, dip that in the Bore Scrubber and start at the breech and push all the way to the muzzle. I make about 10 passes this way. So far I have never noticed a lead or anything buildup, and I shoot No Excuse Conicals also. After that run a couple dry patches through and they will come out clean also. Be sure and oil the bore afterward. I use Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL or Breakfree CLP.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:12 PM

the results you posted about the NO EXCUSES is why I'm going to give those a try. I viewed their website and if they're true to their word about the quality,then the price difference of those and the GREAT PLAINS will be made up. I want the heavier bullet. Mine is the .45 and those "pea sized" 200 gr bullets just dont satisfy me, especially after all the run-offs I've had.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Shooters Choice Lead Remover works real well.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

If they shoot as good out of your .45 caliber as they do out of my .50 and actually I think they should shoot as good or better, you are going to be pleased. The knock sound of those big conicals hitting is something you will not forget.....
Old 01-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rak

That twist should be ideal for that heavy No Excuse. Get the .503s for diameter. Don't worry much about leading. All you need is around 80 gr. 777 or 90 Pyrodex P. That should be good to at least 125 yards. I like the cleaners & oils poster Cayugad uses. They work real well.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:20 PM

.503 for a 45 cal.?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I am sure he just overlooked the .45 caliber part. They would get the .451 diameter I believe they are....
Old 01-18-2005, 10:56 AM

OK, got he bore scrubber. Now to get those NO EXCUSES and some of that BM3 powder and i'll be set
By the way, is leading easy to detect. Is it real noticable when you look through the barrel
Old 01-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

If you use your bore brush and solvent after each range session, I doubt you will ever notice the lead build up. As far as that goes even the plastic and copper is never there. I do mine after each shoot, just about 10 strokes with the brush and solvent. I have never worried about any build up or noticed any.....

Quick Reply: barrel leading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.