Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question about starter kits >

Question about starter kits

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about starter kits

Old 01-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question about starter kits

I have a question about a starter kit that I got at Cabelas today. I ordered a new TC Omega today, should be here in a couple of days, and I cant wait. Anyways, I know nothing about Hunting with a muzzleloaders but I cant wait to learn, I noticed after I got home that the starter kit that the sales guy gave me is for Pyrodex Pellet Shooters, is this the right one for this gun? I know this sounds like a crazy question, concidering I have a gun on the way, and I really know nothing about them. Please help, the kit came with a tape called Successful Muzzleloading, and I really want to watch it, but I dont want to open the kit when I am not sure if it is the right one or not.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about starter kits

Your Omega will shoot Pyrodex pellets as well as loose Pyrodex powder and several other synthetic powders and also real black powder. The only thing it won't take is smokeless powder (only one muzzleloader made by Savage will take smokeless powder). I recommend that you either open the package and watch the video or get another video before you get very far into shooting the rifle. Most of the starter videos are pretty good and you will learn a lot of what you really need to know. You may decide that you do not want to shoot the pellets after you try them but with this sport you have to try several powders and bullets before you find what your particular rifle likes best. I have a stainless .50cal Omega and it is not real particular as to what it likes. It shoots almost anything that I can load. You will find that some sabots are very tight in the bore and may be difficult to load. Powerbelt bullets or the new Sabre Tooth bullets are a lot easier to load. Read the manual that comes with the rifle also it has a lot of good information. Keep asking questions we will be glad to answer.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:25 AM

Both my TC rifles have come with what I consider to be a very good booklet. Read that booklet - cover to cover a couple of times, it has a lot of good info in it.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:00 AM

Read that booklet - cover to cover a couple of times, it has a lot of good info in it.
I agree. Also I'd suggest loose powder , you are able to tweak your loads much easier to get the best for your gun. I'd go with powerbelts to start as they are easier to load and I have had great results with them. I use the 295gr Copper Hollow points. Once your confident that you can fire & clean your new rifle , get to the range & have fun. Welcome to the sport !
Old 01-06-2005, 09:02 AM

Keep asking questions we will be glad to answer.

plenty of knowledge on this board & the guys here are great with answering questions.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys, I have allready learned a ton of stuff just in the last couple of days. I did open my kit, and I have started to watch the tape that came with it, very imformational. Thanks again for your help, I am sure that I will have many questions to ask down the road.