Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Choice Between Rifles????? >

Choice Between Rifles?????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Choice Between Rifles?????

Old 12-24-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Choice Between Rifles?????

If you had the choice between these three rifles which would you choose???

MDM QuicShooter Magnum

New Frontier Beartooth Magnum

New England Firearms Sidekick

I am interested in buying one of these lower cost models unless I could getr a T/C for around the same. But out of these choices which is the better rifle. I will be using it mostly to hunt Deer and Elk and will buy a 50 Caliber. Let me know your thoughts and what you would think is the better buy.

Thank you,

Jeremy
Old 12-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Choice Between Rifles?????

Of the three mentioned the New England Firearms Sidekick is the only one of the three I would purchase. The Sidekick is made by NEF also known as H&R which has been making that style of break open weapons for many many years. The Sidekick has great reviews and excellent out of the box accuracy from all reports. The other thing is the rifle is made of American Steel. The others have Spanish made barrels that are not proof tested. Not that I am saying there is anything wrong with the other rifles, it is just that they are not proof tested. I just think the Sidekick is a better choice for the dollars you're investing.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:09 AM

unless I could getr a T/C for around the same
There is a T/C hawken for sale on the classifieds , much better than the three you mentioned. If you go new , I agree with cayugad on the sidekick ....they have been making breakactions for a looooooooooong time.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:28 AM

Default Deleted

Deleted
Old 12-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad

The others have Spanish made barrels that are not proof tested.
It is not often I take exception to your statements, but Spanish Barrels ARE proof tested. It is an International, Spanish and American Import law, that they must be proof tested - now what they are proof tested at is another story. The company importing the barrel sets the standard of proof and the factory will test to whatever standard you request - you just have to pay for it. The higher the test mark on the barrel the more costly it is to import - meeting US tarriff laws.

I believe Randy and/or Chuck Hawks started this whole uproar with the Spanish proof marks on the barrel but, yet Randy sits solid with Austin & Halleck which used the same barrel. My two A&H barrels are marked exactly the same as the CVA Firebolt barrel.

I would agree with them and you that the US barrels are probably the better barrels and I guess I would and do have a whole lot more faith in them. But without a muzzleloading standars, as with centerfire standards, you are at the will of the manufacturer. Of course with those standards comes higher prices - catch 22...

General Information:

Proofing the barrel of a gun began as a means to insure its safety and integrity. Proof Houses were established by law in almost every country and it was required that weapons sold within the respective country, and for exports be able to withstand a proscribed load without damage. When this test was successful the weapon was stamped with a seal to acknowledge the test - which is called as Proof Marks. These marks then tell us the country of origin of the weapon. Proof Marks, or Proofs as they are sometimes referred to, changed over time and therefore assist in dating arms.
This site might give you additional information, I can not find the House of Eibar site right now.

http://website.lineone.net/~da.cushman/proofregs.html
Old 12-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

MDM QuicShooter Magnum

New Frontier Beartooth Magnum

New England Firearms Sidekick
=============================================

NEFS
NFBM
MDMQM

.... IN THAT ORDER! Like all store-bought rifles, inspect the action & make sure the trigger isn't stiff. If something's wrong, just have the salesman keep bringing out his backroom supply of Sidekicks till you find one that you're satisfied with.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Sabotloader.. your right. I should have said the other brands are not proof tested to the same standards as some of the other barrels on the market that I am aware of. That was why I commented that there is nothing wrong with the other rifles in my opinion. I just wanted to point out that the Spanish barrel's pressure ratings are a topic of concern to some people in the market for a new rifle. Like yourself, I also own a number of CVA, and Tradition rifles which I beleive all fall in this lower standard of proof tested barrels. I have no fears of the barrels because I do not abuse the rifles and their capabilities. Although of the three he mentioned I have read a lot of good posts reference the Sidekick which was why I felt it was the better value. The few posts reference the Beartooth, they have compared it to a Optima and the other rifle I really can not remember a post reference the rifle.....