Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 End of the season, do you leave your gun loaded, or >

End of the season, do you leave your gun loaded, or

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

End of the season, do you leave your gun loaded, or

Old 12-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: End of the season, do you leave your gun loaded, or

I'm from the school of not leaving a semi-loaded weapon for an extended period of time.
I always discharge my weapons at the end of the season or sooner if it will be longer than a few days.
I'll do the same cleaning regardless if I used compressed air or a puller and simply firing the weapon before leaving the field on the last day of hunting to me is easier.

At the beginning of the season, I begin storing my ML's in cases in the garage to cool them down to ambient temperature then I load with powder and bullet prior to opening day.

During the hunt season, I remove the primer before I leave the field at the end of each day and store my weapons in a case in the garage so that they remain ambient temperature. I try to keep things a cool and dry as possible to mitigate potential moisture issues.
If it rains during a given hunting day (This year for example, I hunted a total of 6 days in the rain with 3 of those days in a downpour), I always discharge the weapon at the end of the day and detail clean that night before the next day. If raining hard, I use a barrel condom on the end of the barrel. "Traditions" makes a nifty little barrel condom part number A1330. I've also used a piece of cellophane and a rubber band. Do not leave your gun overnight with a cover over the end of the barrel!

If I discharge a weapon during the season, I always perform a thorough cleaning that evening before the next day.
I have one ML that is over 25 years old and there is not a speck of rust anywhere.
None of my weapons have any rust as I am very meticulous on cleaning and oiling.
We spend a great deal of money on these tools and to not care for them is truly a waste. Not to mention neglect can lead to at a minimum a ruined inaccurate weapon or worse an accident.

I know several of guys that don't detail clean until the end of the season even if they have shot their ML several times. Some of them are starting to show signs of minute rust in crevices even on stainless models.

With traditional black powder, the stuff is so corrosive that really leaving over night is taking a chance in my view. Thus I discharge the weapon every evening.

With the substitute powders, I think you have more leeway but still need to practice good cleaning and care procedures.

Best,