Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Omega vs. Knight Disc Extreme >

T/C Omega vs. Knight Disc Extreme

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Omega vs. Knight Disc Extreme

Old 12-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default T/C Omega vs. Knight Disc Extreme

I have a friend that is in the market for a new muzzleloader. He is torn between the Omega and the disc extreme or elite. Any opinions? It will be for WI whitetail in 50 cal. This is not a first muzzleloader.

Priorities are accuracy, balance, dependability. He uses sabots with triple seven in the muzzleloader he has now, but would like a more modern smoke pole. If you prefer one over the other please let me know why.

Thanks,

cybersniper
Old 12-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: T/C Omega vs. Knight Disc Extreme

I have an Omega that I really like and the only thing I would comment on is with the Knight there is a plastic holder for the primer which is something more to have to buy and discard. I know the Knight rifles are loved by those that have them but I wouldn't buy one just for that reason. Seems like an extra that really isn't necessary. Same goes for the Savage as there is some tube "thingy" that you have to replace fairly often. The Savage is not legal in Arizona with smokeless for hunting anyway so I eliminated that one. The Omega is a little touchy on selecting bullet/sabot combinations as the bores run on the tight side. My Omega does not like 777 powder (forms bad crud ring). It likes Pyrodex, Goex, American Pioneer and absolutely loves Black Mag3. Groups are impressive and rifle is easy to disassemble and clean. I have heard that the Knight bolts are a little difficult to clean. Maybe I am wrong since I don't actually have a Knight. Just Hearsay.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:37 AM

Guess I'd better reply since I have both rifles your talking about.

Omega- I have the fluted stainless/thumbhole laminate version. Overall it's a great gun, but there are a few areas I don't like about it.

One is the factory ramrod. I don't care for any of the factory ramrods out there so I always replace them with a powerrod ($25+ add on depending on length). Another problem is the lack of a gripping surface on the hammer. This past season I almost let off a shot cocking the gun since I had gloves on. I also don't care much for the slippery stock. I am going to try some Pac-Skins and see if they help. One minor thing is the front sight hole is different than the others so you can't use the supplied plug screws to fill it (if I'm using a scope I remove the sights). The recoil pad needs some improvement as well. Mine is almost as hard as a rock. I ended up putting a Sims pad on it. Cleaning is much easier with the Omega.

As far as the action is concerned, I don't like the way the blowback goes under the barrel. Since I only remove the stock after the season is over and once during the summer, this can be an issue. I've switched to the 25 ACP breach plug sold by PR bullets and have noticed zero blowback gets past the case. Definite improvement although the plug is a little pricey ($60). With this I also have to have a priming tool and brass. The brass is somewhat cheaper than the full plastic jackets the Extreme uses and they are far more reusable.

I do like the QLA on mine as it does seem to make loading easier. Accuracy with mine is sub MOA with my hunting load although I've not shot a large number of different loads out of it. Also, barrel length is not as advertised. Usable barrel length is 26 1/2" vs the advertised 28" and subtracting the QLA it's even less. I did float my barrel and although it's not a huge improvement, it does make it easier to get the POI in the same place.

After my improvements to the gun I feel I have one of the best muzzleloaders out there. Not all of them will be needed by everyone, but I tend to be a little more picky.

Knight Disc Extreme- I have the stainless/synthetic thumbhole version. Also mine is old production so it lacks the c-toolless bolt and quick release bolt system.

I did replace the ramrod on this one as well. The stock is well made and not slippery even with gloved hands. Also batrrel length is closer to advertised 25 1/2 vs. 26" adv. Overall length is 2" longer than the Omega with a similar length of pull. No recoil pad is needed as the Extreme has the best factory pad I've ever used. I don't like the full plastic jackets. Yes they do seal out the weather, but they don't seal in the blowback. Unless you put a scope protector on it you'll cover your scope in soot.

The improvements I'd like to have done are the ones they have already done to it. I may yet upgrade to the c-toolless bolt. Another one I'd like to do is get it black iced. The bolt face is the thing that is hardest to clean and tefloning it will let me just rinse the fouling off. Also, cleaning does take longer because there are more parts to clean. I've heard many complaints about the Knight secondary safety, but I've never experienced a problem with mine. Truthfully I don't even use it exept during cleaning when I need it to dissassemble the bolt. I just use the primary safety while hunting. Acuracy is in the 1"- 1 1/2" with the load I use.

Overall- I do feel the Omega is the better action style as it doesn't add much weight or length to the gun. Tell you the truth I just love both guns as both do the job well.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:17 PM

I am looking at almost the same comparison, except I am looking at Knight's Wolverine instead. A lot of good info on this forum! And yes, this will be my first muzzleloader, I plan to try for an Elk and Deer tag this year in Nevada.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:03 AM

Got my wife one of those Wolverines. Good gun for the money and easier than other "plunger" style guns to clean. Only non ramrod issue I have is the secondary safety has skinned my thumb a few times. Not a problem with gloves on though. I've been thinking about buying one of the SS/thumbhole models for myself.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

That's what I'm shooting Wolf .50 Disch extreme stainless synthetic thumbhole stock. With the $50.00 rebate you can get them for around $375.00 at Natches shooter supply. That's a smokin' deal.

Cybersniper
Old 12-11-2004, 04:56 AM

ORIGINAL: cybersniper

That's what I'm shooting Wolf .50 Disch extreme stainless synthetic thumbhole stock. With the $50.00 rebate you can get them for around $375.00 at Natches shooter supply. That's a smokin' deal.

Cybersniper
I bought mine when they first came out. You got a better deal.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:07 PM

I'm new to muzzleloading this year,but after research,I bought an Omega ss with the laminated stock.I got the heavier stock to keep the gun more balanced.I shoot 245 gr powerbelts with 150 gr. of pyrodex.Alot of guys say I am just wasting pyrodex,but if I get a long shot,I want to be sure of the hitting power.It is fairly easy to clean.My only problem is that my stock is splitting.I called Thompson Center and they told me to send it in and they will send me a new one free of charge.I am going to try and upgrade to the thumbhole stock for the difference in cost as that was not available when I bought mine in the spring.i put a Leupold 3x9x40 scope and have hit the 2 inch center at 100 yards.To me,this is a great gun.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:09 AM

The difference is that Knight stocks aren't hollow. T/C (along with other companies) still needs to do work on their synthetic stocks.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:31 AM

I don't believe that my stock is hollow.It is heavy and looks like real wood.I didn't like the synthetic stocks because like you said,they are hollow.

Quick Reply: T/C Omega vs. Knight Disc Extreme

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.