Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 yard accuracy

Old 11-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default 200 yard accuracy

Has anyone achieved 200 yard accuracy with there bp? If so what is the gun and load u use?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 200 yard accuracy

I am really doing well with both Remingtons and the one A&H. I shoot 200 every once in awhile just to see. My inlines are zeroed at 134 & 147 (if my memory is correct) yards and I am shooting 300 grain Noslers or Hornady XTP's in Nosler sabots pushed by 100 grains of t7-2f, with 209 ignition. The other bullet that I use is the 260 grain Nosler in the 24" Remington it is really hot and accurate. Same powder load.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot 200 yards one afternoon in the hay field just to see if it could be done. Whether you call spraying a paper plate accuracy (after a couple shot just to figure out the drop), well thats could be argued. I would guess that if I practiced a lot, I could shoot that distance. There are reports of some shooting much further then that even.

Where I hunt 90% of the time my shots are 80 yards and under. Only when I hunt the edges of the fields do I get anything even near long range, and then I doubt if I would take it....

But your right you guys, it is a lot of fun to try....
Old 11-30-2004, 03:57 PM

1 1/2"- 2" on a good day with 3"-4" on my not so good days. Took a yearling at 201 yds with my Omega and 105 gr of ffg 777 with a 245 gr Barnes Spitzer bullet. Drop is 7" with a 3" high at 100 yds zero.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:45 PM

200yds with ONLY magnum capable BP rifles (150 grain loads in quality in-lines) is a VERY VERY capable proposition for most folks. I think alot of guys are under-estimating their own abilities as well as that of their guns. With something like a Encore/Omega/Knight Disc etc firing 150grn loads with 250grain bullets like SSTs or Barnes, the typical drop @ 200yds is 6" when sighted dead on @ 100yds. They drop like anvils once you cross the 225 range (but still are killable at 300 with practice) and I personally recommend something like a mil-dot setup. All of the above loads and guns will still produce around 1k ft pds of energy at 300yds so at 200yds they are more than adequate for deer sized game.

When dealing with loads under 130 grains of propellant I would recommend 150yds as the maximum for most shooters,
RA
Old 12-01-2004, 07:05 AM

we shot up a old school bus down in a pasture one day i guested the range about 6 or 7 hundred yards ,i was shooting a tc white mountain carbine,using homemade maxi balls i think they were about 325 or a little bigger with a 100 gr. of loose powder.We shot it a few times to see where the lead was landing there was water in the pasture so we could see the splash in the water i had to aim about 10 feet over the bus to hit it in the side under the windows,after a dozen or so shots and cleaning we put the hood around to the side ,we were hiting a spot about 3 feet in dia painted with black paint by aiming at the top of the buss,then i steped the range it was over a little over 600yards. I always wondered how thoes guys hit buffalo at extreme ranges just take a little time to learn how.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

200yds with ONLY magnum capable BP rifles (150 grain loads in quality in-lines) is a VERY VERY capable proposition for most folks.
I disagree. "Most folks" I know shoot maybe 10 shots a year and some of those are at game. Your thinking drop only. At 200 yds a deer is a pretty small target even at 9X. It takes practice to make those kind of shots. I've put close to 200 rounds through my Omega this year and I know where it hits out to 200. I passed a nice buck the third day because it was at 231 yds and I had no idea where it shot at that range. I could have guessed (and a friend told me I should have), but I've got too much respect for my quarry to risk a shot if I don't know I could make it.

I think alot of guys are under-estimating their own abilities as well as that of their guns. With something like a Encore/Omega/Knight Disc etc firing 150grn loads with 250grain bullets like SSTs or Barnes, the typical drop @ 200yds is 6" when sighted dead on @ 100yds. They drop like anvils once you cross the 225 range (but still are killable at 300 with practice) and I personally recommend something like a mil-dot setup. All of the above loads and guns will still produce around 1k ft pds of energy at 300yds so at 200yds they are more than adequate for deer sized game.
The guns are capable certainly. However the most important element is the shooter. If the shooter is not capable of the shot then the gun is irrelevant. Also a small point, without a range finder how far exactly is your animal? How do you know where to hold? Guessing an animal is at 200 when it's at 240 could lead to a miss or even worse, a crippled animal. What about wind? Wind is a bigger factor than drop at extreme ranges. What's your drift with a 10 mph wind? If you don't know then you could have a problem.

When dealing with loads under 130 grains of propellant I would recommend 150yds as the maximum for most shooters,
RA
Why 130 gr of powder? Why is that the magic number? I read about a fellow taking a Nilgai at 300+ with 100 gr of Pyro and a 325 gr bullet. According to the shooter the bullet expanded properly. There is no magic number. I shot 105 gr. of 777 (Actually I weigh my powder and the weight was 85 gr.). According to your number I am way under powered. However my bullet still exited. I maintain the minimum energy out to just past 300 yds.

Simply put, the most important factor is the shooter. Always has been. Most shooters can make long shots but only after sufficent practice. There is no substitute for that.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

The last muzzleloader magazine had an article on shooting out to 300 yards and on wind drift and bullet drop. Good article to read even though with the old Hawken my range is 110 yrds or so.

Eric
Old 12-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for replys
Old 12-02-2004, 06:04 PM

I can proudly say yes. I have a .45 cal T/C Encore. I have a .25ACP breach plug from Precision Rifle, and a Weaver Grandslam 3.5-10 50MM scope. I'm shooting Precision Rifle dead center 175 Gr bullets. Backed with 130 Grains of powder. Once I found this load, I have not shot over 3'' groups at 250 yards. The best part is I have the gun sighted in at 200 yards. It hits 2'' high at 150yards, and 3'' low at 250. Precision Rifle are the guys to get in touch with for long range shooting. PrBullet.com

Note: Dead Center bullets are solid lead. Although I have not had a problem with them on deer size game, I would not recommend them for much more. I have shot deer at 40 yards with these bullets, small deer, and the bullets did not come out. At 100 yards the bullet performance was flawless, however I would not shot bigger game at close yardages.

Quick Reply: 200 yard accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.