Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

POS CVA!!!!!!!

Old 12-24-2004, 06:52 AM

Default RE: POS CVA!!!!!!!

I own the cheapest of cheap the, CVA Mountain Stalker and just bought my grandson a CVA Bobcat.POS,

Just dont put a 150 grain charge in those "spanish" barrels ..........be careful.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Several companies make good replacement sight for your old CVA. When you buy a cheaper gun you m,ay have to do a little fixing. Thats why they cost less in the first place. In our state we can't use any optic sight including red dots. Our season is not a primative season, just a muzzel loader season. If we use them during the rifle season then any kind of sights or scopes are allowed. ND allows no Magnification scopes for its muzzle loader season which makes sense as scopes have been around as long as flintlocks have.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Slugman.. in responce to your quote reference the CVA Mountain Stalker and Bobcat..

Just dont put a 150 grain charge in those "spanish" barrels ..........be careful.
I am sure that if he read the manual they noted that this rifle is not meant for 150 grains of powder. I believe it says the max powder charge is 100 grains of loose powder. I would have to check my own CVA Mountain Stalker manual again to double check the powder amounts.

Since my Mountain Stalker shoots best with 85 grains of powder and a patched roundball getting close to your 150 grain warning amount will not be a problem. My Mountain Stalker is doing well so far, three shots three deer in the hunting field.

You mentioned you were getting a Lyman's Great Plain Rifle I believe it was... How is that rifle shooting for you? Any problems with it? They normally are great shooters....
Old 12-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Cayugad.A:since this was my first BP rifle I read the instructions.(100 gr max load)B:shot it a heck of a lot(lot of fun).Max range 100 yards,maybe 125.Shoots best with CVA Buckslayer conical bullets.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though my CVA manuals for my hunterbolt and firebolt say they will handle 150 grain magnum charges, I dont because with the magnum charges either gun doesnt shoot very accurate not a good trade off in my opinion for 100 to 200 fps more......... Also I have good faith in hodgdon when they dont reccomend charges more then 100 grains they must have good reason. With my cva's I have had the best accuracy with 80 to 100 grain charges anyway. But with CVA saying the guns will handle 150 grain charges I look at that as insurance that I wont have any problems with my 100 grain charges.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Well said Wolf!

100grains is plenty for any deer sized game! My CVA MagHunter just loves 100grains of FFFg APP and 295grain HP/PB, with CCI primers!!

www.americanpioneerpowder.com
Old 12-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just got mine 2 day and i gotta take it back my dad and i were lookin at it and tried cokcing it back and it wouldnt broke it open and cocked it back and it cocked back idk was with it
take it back or can someone help me

optima it is
Old 12-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

If you are trying to open the action make sure the hammer is not cocked. Most break open rifles and shotguns will not allow the action to be opened if the hammer is in the cocked position. Carefully point the rifle in a safe direction and let the hammer down by holding the hammer and releasing the trigger. Lower the hammer and try opening the action. You should be able to get it open or there is something wrong with the rifle.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:16 PM

You mentioned you were getting a Lyman's Great Plain Rifle I believe it was... How is that rifle shooting for you? Any problems with it? They normally are great shooters....
Still in the box , got the "un-finished" version so I can finish it myself Been using my brothers remington till I have time to play with it. Too late in the season to switch up. Plus I just got a new bow for xmas , dont know what to play with first
Old 12-28-2004, 05:55 PM

I just shot a nice 2" group at 100 yards with my new Optima Pro.
Yep, they are junk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.