Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lure modern muzzle loaders? >

Lure modern muzzle loaders?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lure modern muzzle loaders?

Old 11-17-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Lure modern muzzle loaders?

Hello all, I am curious as to what the lure of muzzle loaders these days is, I have a CVA .50 replica of my fathers from years ago that I helped him build from a kit which spurred us to buy a couple of .45 caliber pistols that we built together. They are a blast to shoot and I can see how cool it would be to take down a big ole buck with the .50 the. The big question is, what is the big deal with these new design muzzle loaders, except for the fact that you load them a little differently than a modern rifle I don't see any unique appeal. This is just my opinion and I'd like to hear from others.

Metro...
Old 11-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lure modern muzzle loaders?

it extends my season, many people on here like traditional rifles, even flint guns, i love to hunt and i like to put the odds in my favor, during bow season i use a compound with high let-off and good equipment, our m/ler season same deal, but the new style guns are very acurate but they are still not a modern firearm and require alot of tuning, i don't care for flints, but if they were mandated i would use one, just to hunt, and they are fun to shoot....

The big question is, what is the big deal with these new design muzzle loaders, except for the fact that you load them a little differently than a modern rifle I don't see any unique appeal. This is just my opinion and I'd like to hear from others.
the big deal is the performance, alot of people live in shotgun only areas but can hunt with a m/ler and they are capable of 200 yrd shots and pretty impressive performance. most are alot more weather-proof also.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Dominant Buck

The lure of modern muzzleloaders are they are different from the traditional muzzleloaders. I shoot flintlocks, I own over 8 cap locks in many calibers, smoothbores, and three modern inline rifles. Why did I buy the inlines? They are different. Just as I like to see what a .50 caliber flintlock is able to do, I also enjoy what a modern inline can do loaded with the right projectile.

I like to see if I can make a rifle accurate. I like to hunt and only hunt with black powder rifles, even when weather and common sense tell me a centerfire today would be a better choice. Inlines are not all that big of an advantage where I hunt. All the shots I would normally make with an inline I could and have made with a sidelock. In fact I normally hunt with a sidelock although this year I gave my inlines a chance as well.

If you like to shoot as much as I do, then stay away from the inlines or you will be owning some of them also. By the way I also shoot black powder revolvers and pistols...
Old 11-18-2004, 01:07 AM
Typical Buck

My situation is that I hunt for meat and prefer Elk. In Arizona as long as it loads from the muzzle only has one barrel and uses black or a synthetic black it is legal for the muzzleloader seasons. I cannot get drawn for an Elk tag with a rifle however I have been drawn four times in a row for muzzleloader. I use a stainless Omega with a scope and the best bullet and powder available. I limit my shots to 100 yards and any rifle would do at that range with good placement. The Omega with new conicals has a slight edge as to terminal performance and Elk go down hard. Been successful three out of four times.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Extends my season,Plus I love to smell the smoke
Old 11-18-2004, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Inlines offer see-thru cleaning, more potent & more waterproof ignition too. Inline ignition is centered to the bullet - giving it better accuracy. With the advent of 209 primers, more powder combustion makes 200 yard shots common with experienced shooters. Also, inlines come with fast twist barrels - ideal for sabot/bullets.... generally more accurate/more penetrable/more coefficient than conicals of yesteryear.

Don't buy a Knight Disc Elite or T/C Omega.... you'll become hooked/addicted to them if you do. This kind of fun puts a sting in your wallet too... your wife may get upset when you try to extend your time outdoors having so much fun. Stay away from the shooting range too! Buying different flavors of sabot/bullets ... different flavors of synthetic powders that make real blackpowder look ancient will likely increase the number of friends you have. Many regulars appear at the range every week with their inlines. They will want to converse with you ... exchange phone numbers.... maybe even hunt with you.

You don't need this kind of mess.... stay away....lol
Old 11-18-2004, 06:27 AM

The big question is, what is the big deal with these new design muzzle loaders, except for the fact that you load them a little differently than a modern rifle I don't see any unique appeal. This is just my opinion and I'd like to hear from others.
I agree. I hunt with flint rifles and fowlers. Inlines have NO appeal to me. Don't shoot them, don't want them. I don't care if others use them, though.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:51 AM

OK I figured one of the reasons would be that it extended the opportunity for deer season and now as I find out it also can improve odds for getting drawn for a tag. Makes sense as there are probably far fewer muzzle loaders than modern rifle hunters. Do they also alow them for use in states that are shotgun only? Maybe cause of shorter range. I hope I did'nt offend any muzzle loaders, I am actually looking into buying one of the cheaper models I have seen in Cabellas to fool around with. Thanks.

Metro
Old 11-18-2004, 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: metro

Honestly I just think they're fun to shoot. I don't shoot anything but muzzleloaders these days. Between the 4 inlines and the sidelock here I have plenty of fun.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:33 AM

I originally bought an inline to extend my hunting season and got hooked! My Encore can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards so my slug gun sits in the safe now. Most of Maryland is shotgun only so if a deer was more than 80 yards away, I just sat there and watched it. Now I feel comfortable taking a shot at one. I think that inlines are easier to shoot, easier to clean and can be more accurate than a similiarly priced percussion or flintlock. I have seen some pretty accurate percussion M/L's but they cost several thousand dollars.

As far as your original question about why an inline. I bought mine as my first M/L because inlines were available. If only percussion or flintlocks were around, I probably would have bought one of them. There are a lot of M/L shoots at my range and I'm leaning towards buying a .36 caliber percussion that I could also use for squirrel hunting.

And last, about your comment for a cheap M/L. My first inline was a .50 caliber CVA Magbolt 150. It shot great and I got a spike with it my first year. I was just a little dissapointed with the quality but what do you want for $140.

Quick Reply: Lure modern muzzle loaders?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.