Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lure modern muzzle loaders? >

Lure modern muzzle loaders?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lure modern muzzle loaders?

Old 11-18-2004, 05:09 PM

Default RE: Lure modern muzzle loaders?

They offer better performance, slightly better reliability and are easier to clean than a side lock cap and ball. They also feel more like a centerfire rifle which I prefer. I live in lower michigan where you can not use centerfire rifles. Either a muzzle loader or a shotgun. And until recently the Inlines offered slightly better performance than a slug gun at the expensive of not having a quick follow up shot.

I don't even hunt muzzle loader season, I'm a wuss and don't like the crappy weather. I use my ML during regular gun season. It's pretty deadly out to 150 yards easy without having to compensate for bullet drop. Just put the cross hairs in the middle of the vitals from 25 to 150 yards and squeeze the trigger. There really isn't a need for a follow up shot. Kills em dead every time.

I have owned a few side locks that were kits when I was younger. I never hunted with them because I wasn't really into that when I was young. I also owned a few pistols and still have one. They are a blast to shoot and can be shot fairly well if you know the weapon well enough. However the inlines are a bit better in performance. And MUCH easier to clean. Not to mention most have better triggers as well. Oh and they are usually lighter and easier to carry.

To each his own I guess. I personally don't like to make hunting harder than it needs to be. I will use the most effecient weapon at my disposal that is legal to hunt with. Others like the challenge and just being outdoors. More power to them I say. But if I didn't want to take game I would go out with a camera instead of a weapon. It sure would be cheaper in the long run.

On a side note though, I feel your shots should be limited even with a rifle, Like say to two. I don't know how often when I am out during the opening of gun season I hear someone shoot, then they fire 4 or 5 more rounds in six seconds! There is nothing in this area that requires six shots in 10 seconds to be killed. One shot should be suffecient and maybe a second one handy incase your first was a bit off and you needed to finnish the animal off quickly. If you can't hit a deer sized target with one shot from a rifle I think you should look for a new hobby or pick your shots better. Just my opinion any way.

Paul
Old 11-19-2004, 05:29 AM

Default RE: Lure modern muzzle loaders?

I think that ML offers many things. First of all, they are a lot of fun to shoot. There is nothing like the sound and smell of smoke after taking a shot. Secondly, here in NY, it's Shotgun or ML only. I'm with Paul here. I want the most efficient weapon possible and to me, a ML is more accurate than a slug gun. So this year, it's ML only for me.

I got my muzzle loader from my dad before inlines were the craze, so my ML is a sidelock. He never killed a deer with it, and this year, i'm going to try to get one with it in rememberence of him. After the season's over, i'll seriously take a look at the inlines since I think they are easier to shoot and the sidelock I have isn't holding up the best (CVA Frontier Hunter Carbine). It's overall a good gun, but rather hard to clean.

Whatever you decide, I strongly encourage you to at least try MLing just for fun, if never to hunt with.