Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet drop

Old 11-14-2004, 03:40 PM

Default bullet drop

I was shooting a mk 85 50 cal. loaded with 120gr of loose 777 my bullet was a .451 300gr xtp. with the mmp black sabot and a cci 209. If am am putting the bullet in the 1 1/2 inch bullseye ever shot at 70 yards how much it will drop at a 100 yards and at 150 and 200 yards. The 70 yards is the longest shot i can make from this shooting range.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bullet drop

Check out this website. You will need to know the aprox muzzle velocity and the Sectional density to plug in your bullet.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/
Old 11-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

That's a pretty stout load you're shooting there with only a 300gr XTP. I get excellent results with the 300gr XTP Mags out of my Knight USAK using only 80gr of loose powder.................which gives a muzzle velocity around 1600fps. With that particular load, I'll bet I see less than a 1" drop at 100yds. From what I've heard/seen from others, I could expect (with that load) about 3" of drop at 150yds and maybe 6 or 7" at 200yds. As such, your load should drop a little less than that.

Once you get that scope mounted properly, I really advise you to play with that load a little bit and downsize it some.............I think you'll find your accuracy will improve quite a bit with that load at 100gr or less of 777. A more accurate load will serve you better at distance than a few fps will.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:51 PM

yes its a big load,and today is the first time i ever poured that much gas in the tank. I have always used the 200gr xtp hp with 90 gr of powder or two pellets and have always used 90 and a 100 gr of powder with the 300gr xtp. This is the reason i was trying the 120 gr. powder load with the 300 gr XTP bullet, i shot this hog with a 300gr xtp and 90 gr of 777 at about 50 yards it hit him in the side right behind his front shoulder and he took off like a bolt of lightning didn't leave a drop of blood ran out of the field and into a swamp about 300 yards before going down. I hoped maybe next time if i used the larger powder load i could drill a hole all the way through and get a blood trail and a shorter drag.Anyway these critter are a very dangerous game and i would like to hit him with all i can using the 300 xtp. I have used the bigger maix balls with several differen't powder loads but can't get the accuracy that i get with the sabots and xtp's.

Old 11-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

little-d congratulations on a nice looking hog. Some day I am going to get a chance to hunt one. I envy you guys that live in an area where you can hunt hogs. I would be after them all the time.

As to your increase in powder with the XTP, do not expect a pass through. The problem is not the speed or power of the charge it is the design of the bullet. You are shooting a bullet made to expand rapidly once they enter the body and release all their energy in the animal. This is supposed to do much greater internal damage. Your problem was the bullet performed perfect, just as it was designed to do. But it did not exit the body of the animal.

If you want an exit wound also and a lot of knock down, try some poly tipped projectiles like a Hornady SST or Thompson Center Shockwave. Personally if I were you hunting those hogs I would be using a 460 grain No Excuses Conical with 85 grains of Triple Se7en behind it. You will do massive damage and you should blow through the animal also.

The No Excuses Conicals are very accurate out of my Knight Wolverine II. And out of my Thompson Center Black Diamond XR they are just plain deadly accurate.

Again, congratulations on a nice hog. And good luck with future hunts. Be sure and give a kind thought to all of us that wish we were in your shoes when your about to pull the trigger on Porky...
Old 11-14-2004, 07:26 PM

i am sorry i told ya'll wrong,my 300gr bullet an't a xtp it's a SPEER .451'' 300 gr plated sp. When you said that about the bullet opening up it came to me no this bullet does not deform much and it almost made it through this hog it was in the bacon on the far side. this hog weighed #310 .Sorry i called it a xtp. i got to many loose bullets laying around in my head.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:09 PM

here he is in the back of the pickup it took 3 of us to get him in here. And he's a little one just think how big a #500 one would look, i saw a picture of one from GA. that was suposed to be a #1000 now thats a big piece of tendeloin. I live in pontotoc,co. mississippi

Old 11-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

That's a LOT of Pork!!!!

For porkers I really suggest using bigger lead......350gr minimum. I've taken medium boars (about 150lbs) using the 348gr Aero PowerBelts with 125gr CleanShot and with 350gr Precision QT ballistic tip, all-lead sabots with 90gr of 777 and both rounds put them right down to the ground instantly on close quarters shoulder shots. The PowerBelt passed clean thru with no expansion and the QT ended up under the skin on the opposite shoulder and it had expanded to slightly over 1" from it's original .45cal size.

I'm gonna use the 460gr No Excuses conical on my next hog hunt, I expect it to make wonderful holes.

Cayugad.............................come on down to FLA with the rest of the snowbirds, and we can get ya fixed up on a feral hog hunt........................they may not be 300pounders, but 150 to 200 are not uncommon.