Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Advice On Muzzleloader? >

Advice On Muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Advice On Muzzleloader?

Old 11-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Advice On Muzzleloader?

Lonewolf -

I shoot Barnes 250 Expanders out of my Knight Wolverine II with 85 grains of Goex 3f under it. I was doing (very few due to cost) some wet magazine expansion tests on the Barnes and the T/C 240 grain Mag Express and the Barnes does just like that picture. They just flatten and enter.

I think in that photo he hit a rib as it entered and the bullet flattened and that was the reason for the huge hole. It looks like he had a long angle on the shot, so after the bullet opened it tore its way into the body cavity. I bet the deer did not go to far.

The other thing for those that have never tired Barnes Expanders, they are super accurate. You can really shoot tight groups with the Knight and the Expander combination. The bad point is the cost. They are almost .80 cents each. I intend to give the Barnes 300 grain a test run after season....
Old 11-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I had that happen on a 6-point... 30 yards, 150 gr of Clearshot 2f. Softball size hole on entry and slightly larger .50 cal hole on exit. High velocity, close shots tend to blow up with the Barnes... but the main body of the MZ continued through the other shoulder. Buck went 70 yards and piled up.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yo i agree with cayugad on the Knight Wolverine II. At a $150 from Natchez Shooters Supply you can't go wrong. You can spend alot more money & be hard pressed to beat that ML.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:55 AM

I would say to spend the extra money on a T/C or a Knight. Look for deals if $ is a big issue. Its better to get a good rifle to start then second guessing your choice later on.