Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Optima Hard Loading >

CVA Optima Hard Loading

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima Hard Loading

Old 10-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CVA Optima Hard Loading

The 209-4 primer is no longer available. From information I have it was only made by Remington and they have discontinued it. The CCI primer is the only other choice in 209 as it is supposed to be the least powerful. Federals are the hottest. Winchester makes one specifically for the Muzzleloader but I asked them what the difference was and it is a packaging difference only (actually the same as 209 Winchester standard shotgun). Other than that the option is to pop for the .25ACP conversion breechplug. I have two for two of my rifles and am pleased with the results or like I stated switch powder to BM3.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:32 PM

You guys are talking too fast.

209-4? What brand and where at? Any modifications?

Black Mag3? Where at? How Much?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

The 209-4 primer was a Remington only primer made for the 410 shotgun shells and was less powerful than the standard 209 primers;They no longer make it so don't spend a lot of time looking for them. I never found any. Walmart stocked them in some parts of the country but not near me. Black Mag3 can be ordered from Midsouth Shooters Supply but it is $25.00 a pound and you will have to pay a $20.00 HazMat fee so talk a lot of guys into going in with you and buy a lot of pounds or wait until someone in your area stocks it. I have not found any source in Arizona as yet. I ordered mine. The .25ACP conversion is $50.00 and the information is listed under a "sticky" posting on the Greybeard Modern inline site. If you want to talk directly email me at: [email protected]
Old 10-31-2004, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Keith, is Black Mag 3 loose powder only or is it available in pellet form also, and what is your load preference with it? Do you have a web addy for Mid South ? Lot of questions hul .
Old 10-31-2004, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0023200310

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ still shows the Remington .410 primers - but I don't know if they are the same as the ones being discussed.

Gamaliel also had the Remingtons last time I checked.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Spike

MLKeith, can you give some direction to this "Graybeard" site and where to look at your findings on the Black Mag3, Clean Shot and 777 testing?
Old 10-31-2004, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

The Graybeard site on my search engine shows following:http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/php...orum.php?f=119 I'm not sure if you have to type all this in but the Graybeardoutdoors site under Modern In-line is where the date is. It is the Black Mag 3 listing that shows as Ont 23. Black Mag3 is not available as solid form only loose powder. Power is very fine and shoots extremely well out of my Omega. I just shot some out of my new Pursuit LT and did not get results quite as good but the rifle is brand new. Nothing was shooting great out of that rifle yet. Midsouth Shooters Supply address is in previous posting. I just talked with them and they have a lot in stock so supply should not be a problem if you can deal with the $20.00 Hazmat fee.
I talked with people at MagKor (makers of Black Mag3 ) and they assured me that they are not going to go out of business or drop off the market like they did a year ago. I'm still running some tests this week to determine if the velocity is as stable as my first tests. I have a note from another person that thinks the velocities vary too much. I am also shooting this powder with the .25ACP conversion and have not tried it with the 209 primer as yet. Hope this answers most of the questions. If you want email me at:[email protected]