Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Triple 7 or Prowerdex >

Triple 7 or Prowerdex

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7 or Prowerdex

Old 09-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Triple 7 or Prowerdex

OK, its time to buy some more powder to get the ML all ready for the new season. Should I stay with Prowerdex or switch to Triple 7?? Also should I stay with pellets or go to measuring my own with either Prowerdex or Triple 7?? Let me know your thoughts.

Also I shoot a Knight 45 cal Super Disc, should I always shoot 150 grains or 100, how much of a difference should get from the additional 50 gains, longer range or better knoch down power?
Old 09-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Triple 7 or Prowerdex

Looks like you have a lot of choices a head of you. Pyrodex Pellets and Triple Se7en pellets are equal in strength. Triple Se7en usually costs more then Pyrodex, even in pellet form. Triple Se7en is much easier to clean but actually all muzzleloader have to be cleaned. So if spending 5 extra minutes at the cleaning table is it worth the extra money you shell out? Go for what you think best.

Pellets VS Loose is a good topic. Many people will tell you they only shoot loose powders. I only shoot loose powders. Triple Se7en FFg loose is 15% stronger the Pyrodex RS loose. Also you never load loose Triple Se7en the same as Triple Se7en in Pellet form. If you shoot 100 grains of T-7 pellets then start your load around 85 grains of loose T-7 powder. Loose powder is cheaper in the long run. Especially for those of us that shoot a lot. If all you are going to do is load the rifle shoot a deer, clean it and store until next year, then maybe pellets are the way to go. They are much easier.

Loading 150 grains of powder is a lot of horse power in your rifle. Unless your going to be shooting 200+ yards I see no reason for the 150 grain loads. All that 150 grains really does is kick the devil out of your shoulder, wear your rifle out faster by stressing it more, and accuracy is not usually the best with 150 grains of powder. It was more a selling hype put on my the gun makers to get yo to spend those sporting good dollars. They wanted you to see how fast and powerful their new muzzleloaders were. They forgot to tell you that accuracy is extra.

Actually 100 grains is plenty in most cases. Many shooters find 120 grains a good level. Some rifles hate heavy charges. You're going to have to try your rifle out and see what kind of accuracy you get with different charges. In many of my inlines I shoot 80 grains of loose powder. I do not shoot over 100 yards and that is all I need to push a projectile out there with plenty of knock down power. My T/C favors 100+ grains and a faster projectile. My CVA likes the lighter charges, but the accuracy is outstanding in all of them. I spent a lot of range time to learn what they like. Any of them I would be ready to shoot 120 yards without a blink. Shooting 200 yards on the other hand takes a lot of practice. Practice with your rifle at the ranges you might encounter. You owe that to the animals we hunt to be humane with our shots.

Good luck.. you have a great rifle from all I have read on them. I have a Wolverine II and with 80 grains and a Knight Red hot sabot we are ready to make some venison....
Old 09-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot the pyrodex pellets for the last few years but thinkin of switching to triple 7 this year because i have heard it is so much easier to clean.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Just to add some fuel to the fire, what about American Pioneer... You can shoot 1,000 rounds through your gun without cleaning it (or so they claim)... I used some last weekend and am sold on it. Now if it was just more readily available.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Dominant Buck

American Pioneer shoots good but I have heard it has some serious moisture problems....Keep that in mind if you hunt in wet weather.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I switched last year from weighing pyrodex to weighing 777, I did not reduce my load, and found no difference in accuaracy, I did find a world of difference in cleaning. After 7 or 8 shots the amount of junk in the barrel was incredible, what would normally take patch after patch after patch, to clean with pyrodex was easily cleaned with 4 patches for the 777. I switched loved it, and got my dad to switch too!!! Im sold on the 777.... 90 grns and 240 gr thompson sabot.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

I think the moisture problems whith American Pioneer are no worse than pyrodex or 777. I pulled out a canister of AP from my fathers basement which was more than a year old and only a couple clumps had formed, exactly the same with the 777 he had. So far I am convinced that AP is in all forms a better powder than Pyrodex or 777...

1) much cleaner (no debate)
2) cheaper than 777 (no debate)
3) same ballistically from what I can tell
4) moisture problems if they even exist are overrated

negatives.
1) not too available
2) lack of advertising!
Old 09-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 777. I also shoot powerbelts. 80gr. 777-295gr copper hollowpt.
I have shot 8 rounds without cleaning. The only thing I noticed was getting the bullet the last quarter inch or so to seat. After awhile you gotta put a little muscle in it the last little bit. I have had no fouling in the bore but a slight accumulation in the breech area. As far as cleanup, I remove the plug and put the barrel end in a bucket of plain water. I then pump a patch up and down. The thing is, as soon as the water hits the residue it is gone. dissolves immediately and with zero smell. I like the idea of using 777 because it is supposed to be non-corrosive, no sulfur. I think that the heavy loads, 120gr and up, leave more fouling because the powder is still igniting and on fire as it comes out of the barrel. I am new to this so I could be off mark, but it is my experience so far. 777 is the only thing I have used but I see no reson to try anything else. My wife hates the smell of rotten eggs, so I'm sticking with 777.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

newguy23 says:
So far I am convinced that AP is in all forms a better powder than Pyrodex or 777...

1) much cleaner (no debate)
2) cheaper than 777 (no debate)
3) same ballistically from what I can tell
4) moisture problems if they even exist are overrated
===============================================

Place two identical rifles in an unvented bathroom shower. Load one with 777 - the other with AP. Both you & your wife shower... then try to fire both guns afterwards. AP rifle did not fire in my test using T/C Omegas... one stainless - one blued.

Also.... please get your chronograph checked. The bullet speeds registering are incorrect.... right around 15-20% off when comparing both powders.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

I typically don't hunt in the shower, so it might be a moot point for me... I did leave mine out overnight on my covered patio while it was raining and high humidity... The next day I shot it just before noon with no problems.

As for ballistically speaking I do not have a chronograph, but will probaly buy one in the next couple of months... Accuracy does not seem to be different between the two powders and the velocity might be able to be increased by adding slightly more AP.

Again, to me it comes down to balancing pros and cons, I have heard very little wrong with AP (other than your shower test). The slight velocity difference does not seem to matter to me much either... the BIG advantage is not having to clean my gun out every couple of shots to ensure adequete accuracy like I have to with 777. I have shot at least ten rounds without cleaning with no affect on my accuracy with AP.

Again I think it comes down to poor advertising and distribution... I think AP would be the dominant powder if they were more readily available/advertised.

Quick Reply: Triple 7 or Prowerdex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.