Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Triple 7 or Prowerdex >

Triple 7 or Prowerdex

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7 or Prowerdex

Old 09-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Triple 7 or Prowerdex

newguy23.

The only complaint I have is its size. It is awfull big and will not work its way out under the nipple in my side locks, and in really cold weather that is a problem - misfires.

I know when I used it I really liked it until I started getting those misfires in winter. They (AP) may have done something to boost its power but again when I was using it it did not have the same velocity as t7. It would match up very well with the "Pyros" and certainly was cleaner.

There is another new powder out there, I think it is called "Black Magic" Cabelas is selling it; which when you read their info it sounds whole heck of a lot lot like AP - in fact I thought they may have changed their name again.

Well good luck and good shooting!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:23 AM

Gun- CVA MAGBOLT 150
Bullet- 295gr. Powerbelt
Powder-Triple 7 FFFg
Scope- Simmons .44 Mag

I use to shoot regular black powder before I shot Triple 7. I know that Triple 7 cleans up easy and is very consistant when on the range or in the field! I use 80 grains of powder with the powerbelt, and have killed every deer I have shot at. I know every gun shoots or prefers different bullets, but I think that Triple 7 is the easiest cleaning powder I have ever used!!

Note: I shoot FFFg not FFg. The finer the powder, the better the burn!!!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

All
I typically don't hunt in the shower, so it might be a moot point for me... I did leave mine out overnight on my covered patio while it was raining and high humidity... The next day I shot it just before noon with no problems.

As for ballistically speaking I do not have a chronograph, but will probaly buy one in the next couple of months... Accuracy does not seem to be different between the two powders and the velocity might be able to be increased by adding slightly more AP.
My testing with AP was done outside in a day-long light rain & at our hunting cabin last fall. Poster Cayugad here can verify the testing because I have mentioned it a few times before. The bathroom test actually involved three rifles... the 3rd was a Black Diamond with Pyrodex pellets... which fired also.

Nobody leaves their loaded muzzleloader outside in an overnight rain & plenty of AP shooters will tell you you need around 20 grains more AP to reach 777 velocities with only 100 grains. Goodbye newguy... I heard enough bull from one poster. I'll try to stay clear of you in future replies & threads.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

I will have to check out that stuff from Cabela's, I will be going by one of their stores in the next couple of weeks.

FYI... AP is now being made in FFF, not sure of any differences between that and it's original FF. They are also producing "sticks" simialar to 777 pellets and premeasured 100 grain loads.

I might pick up some of the premeasured loads and use them so I have the containers...

If you buy some of that Cabela stuff let me know how it works, I would be very interested.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

newguy23,

Here is some information for, will get you a step ahead if you are going to Cabelas...

http://www.magkor.com/index.html

I was wrong it is called "Black Mag"

I did try the 3f AP, it was not much finer than normal t7 2f....

If you are staying under the 300 grain bullet you can sub 3f for 2f without much concern in added pessures - but it will have aquicker burning rate and it seems to burn cleaner. If you are using a short barrel 24" or shorter - I really think that would be the way to fly...
Old 09-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

777 is the most powerful of all available ML powders. Use at least 15% LESS to get the same velocities you get with a charge of Pyrodex or black..777 blows patches badly in patch & ball loads. I have yet to get it to shoot round balls accurately, even with severly reduced loads. I have found Pyrodex to be more moisture resistant than any other ML propellant, but it is NOT WATERPROOF, of course. Just slightly more moisture resistant. If ANY ML powder gets WET, it won't fire!