Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

old power cans?

Old 09-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default old power cans?

anyone know anything about old BP cans?? i was given a can of goex 4fg priming powder.....the guy told me he had it forever and said i will too.....but its an OLD can.....i was wondering if it might be worth holding on to as a collectors item or something?? the new goes cans look nothing like it....except they are both red and white.....it says something about made in the same plant since 1912 and its made in PA.....my new cans are from LA and it says nothing about being made in one plant or anything........anyone know anything?? im sure there are 100000 cans like it but who hold on to them? wait i found a date....02/93....think its the date..then lot/serial numbers underneath....still its pretty old....what do you guys think? i think it may be worht holding on to....i think it will look cool on my shelf with my other game displays ect.....just wondering.....
Old 09-04-2004, 06:00 PM

Default RE: old power cans?

Actually 02/93, even tho it LOOKS like a date code, is actually the "Lot#"...the other string of letters and numbers is the date code.

An actual example of a can I have here:

03-96 (Lot#)
01NO13B (Date Code = Year 2001, Month November, Day 13, B shift at the plant)

I always save my empties cause I'm a pack rat but I doubt they'll ever really be worth anything...millions of them out there

(maybe not 'millions', but surely hundreds of thousands)
Old 09-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You sound like my wife Mauser... she never wants to part with anything! You should probably keep the can -- it may spark a muzzleloading conversation with friends or relatives over at your house. Ya' never know Mauser... that little conversation could bring you a free ML rifle next time instead of a can of Goex.

Some old timers right in your neighborhood don't know that some of these old ML sidelocks are treasures. They usually think that since they only paid $79.95 back in 1968 & the stock's beat up, that it can't be fixed/restored -- so there useless. Many other old timers only used soap & water to clean em' for over 20 years. So now that the accuracy has left, these old timers think the gun is junk... when all it really needs is a $4.95 jar of JB's Bore Paste.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

GOEX is the outfit that bought the DuPont powder manufacturing operation from DuPont. Since this happened after I started shooting BP in the 60's, no GOEX can is OLD - not yet! if you hang onto it for 50 years or so, it will be old..... I've a couple DuPont cans- they are older....