Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new rifle

Old 08-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default new rifle

i just got a new remington 700 ml in 45 cal. anyone have any thoughts on the rifle or accurate bullets and loads for deer?
Old 08-24-2004, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new rifle

LOL sounds sweet. sorry no advice I am a nubie. More or less
Old 08-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since it's a ML .. not a MLS, will you be upgrading it to a 209 conversion? If so, buy the Cabelas conversion... no other one if you're looking for best performance with pellets.

As far as bullets go, your "likely" bore size indicates you should stick with T/C, Traditions or Remington-packaged bullets for a better fit. Sabot/bullets between 200-300 grains should work fine. Avoid Remington-packaged bullets if you plan on using magnum powder charges. Their plastic sabots usually don't support the generated power very well. They seem to be going out of the ML-accessories business I've heard... rumor has it that it may include their ML rifles very soon too -- due to a lack of sales.

As far as powders go, look at my screen name. It's the best... buy the loose jug in FFF... works in all my calibers from 45-58.

Good luck & make lots of smoke!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Spike

correction it is a 700 mls, and is triple 7 that accurate or just easy to clean?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en tends to work excellent in inline muzzleloaders, and yes it is really easy to clean up after....
Old 08-24-2004, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Since it's a ML .. not a MLS, will you be upgrading it to a 209 conversion? If so, buy the Cabelas conversion... no other one if you're looking for best performance with pellets.

As far as bullets go, your "likely" bore size indicates you should stick with T/C, Traditions or Remington-packaged bullets for a better fit. Sabot/bullets between 200-300 grains should work fine. Avoid Remington-packaged bullets if you plan on using magnum powder charges. Their plastic sabots usually don't support the generated power very well. They seem to be going out of the ML-accessories business I've heard... rumor has it that it may include their ML rifles very soon too -- due to a lack of sales.

As far as powders go, look at my screen name. It's the best... buy the loose jug in FFF... works in all my calibers from 45-58.

Good luck & make lots of smoke!
Wouldn't a full caliber size .45cal projectile work best in this .45cal rifle rather than a .45cal sabot with a .357 bullet, etc