Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 sabot tightness loading down barrel >

sabot tightness loading down barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabot tightness loading down barrel

Old 07-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default sabot tightness loading down barrel

I have a remington700 ML. I have it sighted in using the remington 245 grain saboted bullets. Getting anywhere from bullseye to 2 inches out but I believe it's me moving a little bit other than the gun. These remington sabots really load tight with a clean bore to start with and after 3rd shot you can't get them down. We'll I run out of the remingtons and havn't been able to find them around here. So I bought some hornady 240 grain sabots. These sabots load real easy but shoot 5 inches off first shot then grouping gets better with each shot up til about 7 or 8 then I have to start swabbing barrel to load them. I would like to find a tighter fitting sabot to try out to start with then maybe go to the hornadys after the barrel is fouled. Forgot to mention I'm using 100 grains of pyrodex pellets for charge.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: sabot tightness loading down barrel

Get some of the other brands of sabots out there and a box of Hornady 250 grain XTP's and test which ones your rifle likes. There are Harvester, MMP, Thompson Center Mag Express, and Knight. My rifles like the Knight and Thompson Center Mag Express.

I think you will find one out of all of them that really does well in the rifle.