Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sabot stuck in a TC Triumph Barrel >

Sabot stuck in a TC Triumph Barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabot stuck in a TC Triumph Barrel

Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sabot stuck in a TC Triumph Barrel

My Buddy got a TC Triumph for Christmas, I took him out and showed him how to load and shoot and clean it. Well a few weekslater he went out on his own to shoot and got a 300gr Barnes Xpander stuck in the barrel. He did'nt clean between shots, he was using BH209. He said he was gonna try and shoot it out of the gun! Glad he did'nt!!!!! I figured since he was shooting the BH209 I could get the bullet out, well I cant. Also he tried and kept smashing the ram rod against the sabot.I tried a bullet puller with no luck as the Barnes Xpander has no place to grab onto. I tried pushing it out with all my might and cant move it. I also removed the breech plug and got the powder out and tried pushing it out twords the end of the barrel, again no luck. Any advice?????? Thank's BP
Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sabot stuck in a TC Triumph Barrel

What if you were to heat the barrel? Just a tad so it expands. Drip some lube and let it set, (you probly already did that) for a day or so, heat the barrel just a bit?????
Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

ive used a taped rod and mallet before and it seemed to work good without any damage........
Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boiling hot water will allow you to get it out. Put the barrel in a vice and fill the barrel up with hot water. Then have someone hold the barrel with gloves on and you should be able to push the bullet down. If that doesnt work i would just send it back to T/C.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, put some solvent in there for sure, and clean the barrel from the breech to the obstruction. Then get a 7/16 or 3/8thirty-six inch hardwood dowel. Sit on a chair on a concrete floor. Insert the dowelin the barrel from the breech end. Gripthe barrel with both hands and, holding it as perfectly vertically asyou can, bump (pound) the protruding dowel against the concrete.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Buddy thought of heating the barrel, he had his torches a few feet from the work bench but I said no because I thought it would hurt the temper of the steel barrel, plus he has the (weather-sheild) finish and I figured that would ruin that for sure. I also see someone mentioned boiling water, I'll try that. I did try a wooden hammer on the end of the ramrod with no movement. This is really got me stumped, I never seen a sabot so stuck befor! BP
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll also try that, Thank's Samisane! BP
Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can do the same thing with a steel rod - 1/4" will do -but wrap it with tape to protect the bore.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it won't come out with the suggested methods, can you put the plug back in and rig a way to use compressed air, or even hydraulic fluid to force it out? I'm sure it could be done, but may be moretrouble than it's worth. If all else fails, send to T/C.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Take out the breech plug and remove all the powder charge. Put in about 15 grains of powder and shoot it out. This small charge will not generate enough pressure to harm the barrel. Done itseveraltimes on the range for myself and other folks.

Quick Reply: Sabot stuck in a TC Triumph Barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.