Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hard Trigger on Traditions >

Hard Trigger on Traditions

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hard Trigger on Traditions

Old 07-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hard Trigger on Traditions

As for the black powder problem, I ran into the same thing where I live. I finally ended up ordering some on line
UPDATE!!!!
I'm like a kid on Christmas! I found some 4f Goex at a store 15 minutes from my house. It's ironic because my uncle used to own the store and it was the last place I looked. They charged me $13 for a pound. Then I bought a pound of 777 for, oh what was it?..........$23 a pound!!!
Stuff better be good for that price.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Here is the number at the Traditions repair shop in Old Saybrook. I am pretty sure they can hook you up with one of their gunsmiths. They are very helpful when I stop by or call so give them a try if you need help. 860 388 4656
Old 07-26-2004, 08:15 AM

livbucks,

Goex, never used it, so let us know how you make out. Also, I usually use 2f in the barrel and 4f in the pan. 4f is a finer powder than 2f and I'm not sure how that will work in the barrel. Also, I picked up my Triple 7 at Gander mountain when they were having a sale on 2f loose powder, $16 per pound. Not a bad price.

Tom
Old 07-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Tom, Good Monday morning!
The Goex is BP ffffg for the flash pan. The 777 ffg is for the barrel. Goex is authentic BP. What brand do you use in the pan?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:42 AM

Hey Greg,

I don't know...I use 4f Black Powder for the pan powder, only because when I first got my rifle, I picked up 2f and 4f in black powder. I don't recall if it stated something else on the plastic container. I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home. I guess I just assumed black powder is black powder, probably not the case.

Thanks, I'll let you know. When are you going to do some shooting with that new ML?

Tom
Old 07-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Tom, I wanted to tonight but it is pouring down rain and it is expected to for a couple days. hope to shoot it some evening this week. Goex is the brand of BP. It is real BP. Only 3 ingredients in BP.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Goex FFFFg will work great in the flash pan as your priming powder. Of all the black powders out there, Goex, Swiss, and others, I use Goex. If your rifle seems like it is having a slow ignition with the Triple Se7en as the main charge, I was told to drop a little (like 5 grains) of the Goex in first to help the Triple Se7en ignite.

I am thinking of buying another rifle today. I guess all the other rifles need company... It is a .50 caliber flinter. It sure looks like a nice rifle....

Good luck shooting yours...
Old 07-26-2004, 09:39 AM

cayugad,

You mentioned throwing in 5 grains of BP with the Triple 7, to help with the ignition. I have been using the pellets in my in-line, 50 grains each, using the 209 primer. No problems there.

Last year, I used the loose Triple 7 in my flint, 100% 80 grains with no problems getting ignition. Now when I had shot Clean Shot, the 2f grain was very coarse, and would not shoot well so I mixed in some Black Powder, since I know BP worked fine, probably about 10 to 15 grains in with the Clean Shot, and it would shoot great. I put the BP so it would go in the barrel first, so it would be near the touch hole. I had also heard you should not mix powders, but my gun shot file that way so I did it anyway.

If I were you, I would try Triple 7 in the barrel without the 5 grains of BP, but using BP 4f in the pan, and let us know your results since mine have been excellent. Shoots fine....

Tom
Old 07-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

love to know how you make out with the pa pellet. my wife is letting me get a flintlock for my birthday in august, and the pa pellet is on my shortlist (along with the deerhunter, buckskinner and maybe the hawken)
Old 07-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Tomster... I agree with you. I would try the triple Se7en without the black powder first also. I am saying if there seems to be slow ignition with the flash pan lighting the triple se7en, then I would dump the black powder in first and then the triple se7en on top of it....

My friend who is an avid flinter recommended 5 grains. I see you even suggest as much as 10-15 grains with the clean shot. Living in Wisconsin, where it gets real cold, were shooting Triple Se7en powder one afternoon him and I. I noticed he would dump some of the priming powder in the barrel first and he explained that it makes the ignition time a LOT FASTER.

Quick Reply: Hard Trigger on Traditions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.