Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hard Trigger on Traditions >

Hard Trigger on Traditions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hard Trigger on Traditions

Old 07-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hard Trigger on Traditions

I have the PA Pellet rifle. Im getting prepared to shoot it for the first time. After putting in the flint I test fired the flint to see if it worked good. Well let me tell ya that you gotta really yank on the trigger to get it to go.
Was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there is anything I can do to make a Traditions trigger any softer.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hard Trigger on Traditions

Take it back to the store... even if you've already cleaned it... just as long as it hasn't been fired.

Get another one & try it. If it doesn't soften, use your credit purchase towards another model or brand. If that can't be done, take the rifle to a quality gunsmith.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I would agree with Triple Se7en. Since it has not been fired, I would take it back and ask to test another one. If a different one has the kind of trigger I like then I would expect them to trade rifles.

If that can not be done then you have the option of calling Tradition Arms and seeing if they can fix the problem. I had to use them once many years ago with a hammer striking problem on a new Woodsman Hawkins, and actually they were very cooperative and took the rifle back and really tuned the devil out of it. This would be the option I would do because if they tune it up then you have the best of both worlds. Since they fixed my rifle it has been one of the sweetest shooting rifles I have ever owned. It is all a matter of mass production. Many times rifles get out of the factory that should have never passed their quality control inspection.

I have read on other posts about people taking the lock apart and polishing all the parts of the lock to remove any burrs or ruff spots, but to be honest with you, I do not think someone spending the kind of money we do on their product should then have to turn around and pay to fix their manufacturing flaws. Also once you take this measure, the rifle is yours.

Good luck. I know the frustration your feeling right now. I hope there is an easy fix. I would call Tradition Arms....
Old 07-22-2004, 05:30 PM

Try taking the lock off and look for a small adjusting screw on the sear. My nephew had the same problem with his Traditions but we (I) fixed it in about 10 minutes. Use a little prudence and common sense and you should have it done in no time.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey thanks all!
I bought it mail order and the store is a hundered some miles, so tuning it myself would probably be a good option. I wonder now if I can call Traditions and have them send me a new trigger assembly. The gun has a lifetime guarantee and they say to call them if there are any problems. I'll let everyone know what happens. I know that I didn't by the best gun made but I like it anyhoo. If I really get into this BP stuff I might look into a Lyman Great Plains. They look sweet to me but more money.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned a few Traditions over the years. I still use my Deerhunter for hunting sometimes & my brassy Shenandoah looks pretty sweet hangin' over my fireplace with a powder horn dangling below it.

You will have to send them your entire rifle for inspection/repair. Insurance/shipping costs (around $15) is well worth it since they will very likely reduce the stiff trigger. Look the rifle over very thorough before you ship it... make them aware of any other problems like stock imperfections, loose ramrod fitting, hammer not seating perfectly square... etc..etc.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:25 AM

Greg,

How are you?

Welcome to the wonderful world of flinting. Anyway, as RonK stated, there is a small screw on the trigger mechanism that you can adjust. Be careful, if you adjust it too much, the flint will not strike the frizzem hard enough to spark. I had the same problem with my Traditions Deerhunter. First I adjusted it too much, than I put it back with a little relief. It still is a little hard, but I'm now use to it.

Also, there is a metal clip on one of the screw, that gives tension to the ram rod, you have to place that back the way it was. Don't be afraid to take apart the gun, as you will have to do it anyway after you shoot it a few time to ensure it is oiled and clean.

Also, do you have any bore butter?? I use that to season the barrel prior to shooting, and use as a lube on the breech plug. You can attain the grease they sell for the breech plug, but bore butter works well. Place enough butter to cover the screw treads. You can also use Crisco but I prefer the bore butter. Don't forget to get that white/yellow cleaner as well for cleaning the barrel and gun in general, plus english flints. Don't ever forget to lube that breech plug, it you ever let it get stuck, you have to place the barrel in a vise and work it free. LOL

Any other questions, you can email me or hit this site.

Tom
Old 07-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well,I took your (a couple of you guys') advice. I disassembled the gun and looked at the lock assembly. It turns out that the little screw was backed out all the way and was doing basically nothing. I turned it in, tested the mechanism while it was out of the gun. I now have a sweet trigger on my cheap rifle. Oh and while I had the barrel out I removed the breech plug. I thought the barrel looked clean, until I cleaned it that is. I used a brass brush, some presoaked TC scrubber patches followed by a patch with alcohol. MAN THAT BABY SHINES NOW! I put some Permatex anti-seize on the plug and am ready to go shootin'. All I have left to get is priming powder and 777. Going to go searchin' tomorrow. It seems that everywhere I check, nobody has BP. They all tell me the same thing. "Check back, should have it in a week". or; "Waiting to get my license to sell BP". Whats up with that? Hoping to make it go BANG soon.

Thanks all!!
Thanks Tom!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Dominant Buck

livepbucks... glad to learn that the trigger problem was no big deal. Just a word of warning about using denatured alcohol to clean the barrel of your rifle...

Denatured alcohol will remove all traces of oil from the barrel that protect it from rusting. If you swab the barrel with alcohol, you must re-oil the barrel or it will develop a surface rust very quickly. I would suggest an oil with a teflon base such as Rem Oil or Birchwood Casey Sheath.

As for the black powder problem, I ran into the same thing where I live. I finally ended up ordering some on line from;

Powder Inc. a supplier of Goex and Swiss Powder

You can order as little as five pounds of the stuff delivered right to your door. The only thing is, the more you order the less per pound is your cost. They will let you mix your powder which is what I did. I ordered FFg, FFFg, and Swiss FFg & FFg. It might be an option for you because the cost is much better then some of the stores you deal with....

check them out. Again, glad to hear your rifle is all set to go. Now get busy and make some smoke......
Old 07-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Denatured alcohol will remove all traces of oil from the barrel that protect it from rusting.
I am under the impression that when you go to shoot you want a clean dry bore with no traces of oil. I hope to shoot in 2 days or less and store the gun in air conditioned space. If I put the gun away I will oil the bore. I just didn't see the value of oiling it and then swabbing the oil back out in a day or two. Powerbelts like a dry bore I'm told.

Thanks for your help, Cayugad!
If I'm making a mistake, certainly let me know because I'm brand new to this. Alot of different advice out there though.

Quick Reply: Hard Trigger on Traditions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.