Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what grain.....

Old 07-07-2004, 05:48 AM

Default RE: what grain.....

mauser,

Wow, that rifle of yours sounds very cool looking. My biggest problem with shooting multiple bullets before cleaning was with black powder. Triple 7 and Clean Shot worked great to cut down on cleaning during multile shoots at the range. While hunting, if I take 2 or 3 shots before cleaning, that is probably a lot.

I used to use round balls and even took a few deer with them, but I'm not much of a traditionalist. I love the modern stuf but don't have a problem with a flint ignition. That is one reason I switched over to the Powerbelts.

I picked up a bow a few years ago and I'm shooting it now. It's a PSE, wooden compound, and it's about 25 years old. It shoots great and I just have to keep practiceing with it. The Archery season in PA is a long time and will give me more hunting options this year. But I still love the Muzzleloading seasons. If I get one deer during Archery and the rest in ML and regular rifle, I will be very happy.

Tom
Old 07-07-2004, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what grain.....

Try the different rounds and use the one that shhots the best out of your muzzleloader, it's that easy. For hunting and one is keeping shots under 100 yards anything from 80grs. on up will do the job.
I use maxiball's because they give me the best groups over the patched, buffallo or the hunter. If one of those shot better I'd use that. I use 85 grs of Goex, even with patched ball I've never had a shot that didn't exit and blood trail has always been 4 -5 ft wide and never go more than 100 yards max when the deer didn't drop imediately.