Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 barrel pitted help app >

barrel pitted help app

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barrel pitted help app

Old 06-19-2004, 02:46 PM

Default barrel pitted help app

i left my encore in the gun cabnet a little to long before checking it. it has a little pitting at the edge of the rifeling in a couple of places i tryed useing a bore beush and a drill and a differnt kind of solvents worked at it a couple of hours got a lot of it out but still some left,any body have any advice how i might get the rest out.thanks
Old 06-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: barrel pitted help app

Depending on how deep the actual pits are, you might not get them out. That does not mean that the rifle will no longer be accuarate. I rescued a rifle from a friend that was in terrible shape. He had shot it deer season and then put it in the basement, uncleaned. I was finally able to get a good shooting rifle out of it.

What I would do is get some JB Bore Paste and work the bore of the rifle over with that. If that does not work to your satisfaction, then lapp the barrel. Get some valve grinding compound at your local automotive store, two brass brushes and a lot of patches. You put a brush on the end of your rod, wrap a patch in the wire, and apply some of the compound. I had to give the rifle I was telling you about over two hundred strokes. You have to clean between every 50 strokes.

Before you go through all the work, make sure all the rust is out, and you have applied a good teflon based oil in the barrel like Rem Oil. That stops the clock for you at least. Next chance you get, take the rifle to the range and shoot it. See if the accuracy went sour. If it did then you might want to lapp the barrel.

Many people make the mistake of using strong solvents to remove the black powder fowling and once they are clean they think they are safe. You still have to oil the bore.

Hope your rifle is all right... That is a nice rifle.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i left my encore in the gun cabnet a little to long before checking it
Much better-off to just leave it in a air-tight hard shell gun case than an air-exposed gun cabinet. That's why I do (3) things after I fire my last shot at the range.

1) I immediately loosen the breechplug and/or nipple & cleanout/drum bolster screw with tools & ML supplies I keep in a mobile fishing tackle box.

2) I wetten a patch with gun oil & swab the bore... dirty, fouled et..all. That ensures extended protection time should something time-consuming at home occur unexpectedly. Wetting the patch & oil-swabbing takes about 45 seconds of my time.

3) The ML rifle then goes into an air-tight hard shell gun case & never removed or unbuckled until it's time to clean it.

I'll bet you don't do that again! I'll also bet it was Pyrodex... not 777. I've left badly fouled 777 in my bore (in a hard shell case) for 12 days on more than one occasion. No Problemo... as long as the rifle maintains a constant temperature (warm, cool or cold)
Old 06-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Using a brush on a drill was a bad idea. That'll ruin your barrel FAST. The cheapest way to repair your barrel is to shorten it. I would guess you probably don't have the reamers to re-square and crown the muzzle. A gunsmith can do it for $70 or so. Some guys have reported improved accuracy be removing the QLA portion of the barrel anyway.