Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Pennsylvania BP >

New Pennsylvania BP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Pennsylvania BP

Old 05-28-2004, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default New Pennsylvania BP

I went down to the Traditions warehouse yesterday to have some discussion about the stuck breech plug and there it was a Pennsylvania BP on sale. Listing for $529 and discounted to $334 I lost control and now I own it. That was not the end because I am geared up for pellets for my inlines. Accessories and tax ran another $145. Boy did that add up fast. Loading Kit $37, nipple drain $4, patches prelubed $8, Patches dry $6, Ball shot $8, #11 Caps $4 Cleaning kit $10, solvent $5, stock oil $9 & 777 $25. I went home and proceeded to watch Mel Gibson in the Patriot while I fondled and put away all my new stuff. Gail did agree to putting the Bp over the fireplace on the condition I frnd some fancy hangers for it. Think I need to take a rest from buying for a while. Am going to shoot this afternoon, can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Pennsylvania BP

The longrifle Pennsylvania is one fine rifle -- that's a great price you paid too! I own the Shenandoah by Traditions. It's on my living room wall. To dress-up the wall a little more, go buy a nice powder horn -- then use a leather/cowhide lace to hang the powder horn from the trigger guard.... looks great... get compliments on the combo all the time.

Another note! Don't be taking that "pinned" stock off that rifle. The more you do -- the more accuracy drops-off. Use a hose over your nipple to water-flush your nipple area/drum. Let the hose run into a bucket or sink. I get my hose at an aquarium store for use with air pumps in the tank.

Also, grease the barrel/stock meets real good so no fouling seeps in & slowly rusts the undersides/unexposed areas of your barrel.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Tripl;e se7en, Thanks for the advice. I was concerned with cleaning the underside of the barrel. Some water and muck must get between the stock and the barrel so how often do you remove the stock from the barrel?

Thanks again Phil
Old 05-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

That sure is a beautiful looking rifle. I bet it will be a great roundball shooter. I am sure glad that I never came across a deal like that. I know I would have bought it also. I think you will have many years of excellent shooting with that rifle.

I have two Tradition rifles. I have the Hawkins Woodsman .50 caliber with the 1:66 twist barrel and I have an older model called a Pioneer which is like the Hawkins, but with a single trigger. It has a 1:48 twist. Both of them are excellent shooting rifles as well as a pleasure to look at.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

how often do you remove the stock from the barrel?
===========================================

I never have! I hung up the rifle for good two months ago when I purchased a T/C Renegade -- then a 58 caliber 1-70" twist roundball barrel for it. The Shenandoah rifle had seen the woods a couple of times.... has seen the gun range 3-4 times... that's it! The barrel has been shot around 75-100 times. Now it stays on my wall. I bought some special grease for it from Hoppes so I don't have to oil the barrel every few months & watch the oil drip down my fireplace wall. If you clean & grease the Penn properly -- never use it during foul weather hunting -- there's no need to remove those very thin tenon pins..... ever!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en, I was shooting my Renegade with my GMB .58 caliber today, using 110 grains of Goex FFg a .018 cotton pillow tick patch and mink oil for lube, shooting up the rest of my Hornady round ball. At 35 yards it was cutting one big nasty hole.

Then I got silly and tried to tweek the sight because the hits were just to the right of the 10 ring, and I think I turned it all the wrong way. Thats ok, I burnt off the pound of Goex FFg already and all the Hornady, so it gives me a reason to try the Speer that I bought.

On this rather warm day today, 71ºs ... that mink oil turned to liquid out on the bench. So I would smear the patch and shoot it anyway. I was very pleased with the way it shot. I did not even swab most of the time. I stopped after 16 shots. That 110 grains started to make me flinch when I was doing some free standing shooting....

Man I like this big rifle........
Old 05-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad says...
Man I like this big rifle........
==============================================

So do I Cayugad! It has now officially become my favorite ML. I'm really gonna like it when I change the sights to fiber-optic & put a recoil pad on it. When that happens, dust may start accumulating on my very accurate, long range shootin' T/C Omega.