Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pennsylvania

Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pennsylvania

Does anyone know if PA plans on allowing in-line muzzleloaders any time soon? I saw they now allow them for the early doe muzzleloader season, but it's still just flintlocks for the late season. I think PA is just too behind the times with muzzleloader hunting (amung many other things). We also need a longer season for muzzleloaders.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:54 PM

Default RE: Pennsylvania

ORIGINAL: Challynger

Does anyone know if PA plans on allowing in-line muzzleloaders any time soon? I saw they now allow them for the early doe muzzleloader season, but it's still just flintlocks for the late season.
You just answered yourself,they have an earlier season where all muzzleloaders are legal.
I think you can expect the late season to stay the way it is. At the most you may see more accessories become legal. (peep sights, etc) but not a change in the type of ML firearm.

It would only be "behind the times" if they stayed with only 1 season which only allowed flintlocks. But since there is a season wherepercussion and inlinesarelegal.........
(Think of it this way. Do you allow anything but bows in archery season? Heck, why not allow crossbows, laser sights, electronic tracking devices, etc, etc, etc, it is archery stuff.)

If you absolutly want to harvest a buck with an inline, use it during rifle season, there are no laws against using it then.

...... And I have to say, there is something nice about having a "primitive only" flintlock season. Nice to think that everybody out in the woods is using some old-style smoke poles. If I were to change anything I would only ask that they allowed some better sights and/or peep sights, and maybe included either percussion and maybe also wheel-locks n' match-locks (the locks used before the flint). But keep modern inlines and others out of the one season and in the other.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:34 AM

Being, "behind the times" is what muzzel loading season (was) all about. It's a darn shame they butchered the early season and I think the later season will slowly be erroded into something other than primitive. Not looking to start a war here but I spent alot of time in PA and just hate to see their ML'r season being turned into another time for the Orange army to kill another deer.

Doug
Old 08-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe I just have a different idea of what the muzzleloader season IS about. Whether flintlock or in-line, you only get one shot... That is the basic idea and challenge of muzzleloader hunting.That being said,what's the big deal ifthe muzzleloader has an in-line ignition? I'm not arguing that scopes should be allowed, I don't think they should be. I just think there's no reason to not include in-lines in the season.

Also, the "orange army" consists of Jo Schmo taking 200+yard potshots one after the other, which simply isn't possible with a muzzleloader, even with an in-line. I also don't understand how someone could be against the use of in-lines but for the addition of percussion-cap MLs. I guess it's all just generational differences.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not to start a bickering match or anything, but I too hope that they keep the flintlock season solely flintlock...or possibly adding match-locks and such as someone else mentioned. With modernization taking over nearly every aspect of hunting in someway, shape, or form, I love the primitive nature of flintlocks. Heck at times I think bows, my ownincluded, has become too modern for the intended meaning of an archery season.

Its nice they allowed a different chance for people to use their inlines in some fashion other than during the regular rifle season, but infringing on the nostalgic nature of hunting the deep snow with a flint and pan would be too much for me.

Inlines have gone too far IMO to be considered muzzleloaders...other than the fact you load it from the front. With sabots and special powders, to 200 yd ranges and shotgun primers....they seem to be more like rifles then the flintlocks of the past. Grouping those two in one season is like putting cheese and pasta in the same isle at a grocery store. They just don't go together.

I'm not sure it a generational difference either...I'm two years younger than you are It think it has to do with your personal beliefs and why individuals hunt.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

In-lines do have their own season in PA. Only the last thre days can a rifle be used and even then, the only ones that can use a rifle are senior, youth and military hunters.

In-lines get 4 days to themselves and share 3 more days with others. That's not too bad considering in-line hunters get 2 Saturdays and 5 weekdays.

In-lines also get hunt hunt deer when they've been under very little pressure. The only pressure is from archery hunters, which aren't known to drive and chase deer out of their home range.

Although this season is doe only, we still get the chance to have a season to ourselves, basicaly.

If you want to take a buck, hunt with an in-line during the regular firearms season.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

you can use an inline for 3 weeks in PA. all of rifle season and the early muzzleloader season. some special reg areas you can use them in the late season as well i believe.

i hope they never change the flintlock season. love not wearing orange and not worrying about it, and love the peace and quiet of flintlock season. 2 weeks with a rifle more then enough deer get taken.

i am not trying to start a pi$$ing match, but comparing an open sighted flintlock to a modern inline with a 209 ignition and probably a scope is not near fair. guys easily make 150-200yd shots with them inlines. i dont know anyone that will shoot over 100 with a flinter

my advice...if you want to hunt the late season buy a flinter! after shooting one youll be hooked! i think the smell of burnt REAL black powder has an effect similar to CRACK! they arent hard to learn, just take a little practice and know how. after that youll be drilling targets at 50yds in no time. thats all the farther id shoot. ill shoot out to 75yds if conditions are perfect and i have a GOOD shot.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know, all you flinters are beginning to make regret spending all this money on powder and bullets lately. Its really set me back in my ML budget and delayed the purchase ofmy next ML, a .58 flinter. I might just have to pull out those puppy dog eyes and see if I can get an advance from the mrs..
Old 08-09-2006, 04:36 PM

Please excuse me if I start to rant, and it's not aimed at anyone in particular, no matter what I might say....I've just had it!!!!

PA's primitive season is the last bastion of "real" hunting that I know about, atleast anywhere that is a reasonable commute for me. Forget about flintlocks and roundballs for a moment, think about what hunting in 2006 has become. 300fps+ bows with 85% let off and mechanical heads on carbon arrows, I'll skip them and just get a crossbow, what's the difference? Sentlock suits, tons of calls + electonic ones, cover scents, enough camo that you should be invisable. Baiting, if you want to bait you don't even have to struggle to dumpa bucket of corn out evey few days, just get an electionic one with a 55gal drum and watch what shows up on your laptop. Of course, nobody who is a serious hunter goes to public ground-(unless they have an ATV), $10,000.00/year leases is the only way to go if you want to "hunt"-ha!, a large buck, and big antlers is what it's all about, right? I know a guy who hunts a lease and has more electonic gear on it than I have in my house, he actually names the bucks on the property and decides which one to kill befor he even "hunts" over his feeder, and he get results, yeah-I'm impressed. And if you can't quite come up with the cost of a lease and all the equipment you (need) to ha!-hunt it, you can always just buy a buck, I mean hunt a buck at some guided place that grows them big for ya to shoot, saves time too. Speaking of saving time-(back to ML'rs), who needs all that messy black powder stuff, just get a Savage and shoot your pistol bullets with smokeless, heck it's almost the same thing since you only get one shot and a scope doesn't really matter, now does it.

My comments here are about hunting in generaland if it's because of my generation and someone doesn't see my point then I feel sorry for there generation. You see, I remember when hunting was about guys getting together to HUNT deer, getting one was great but to behonest, we had more fun ribbing the guy who blew his chance. That was ussually done at night, sitting at a table playing cards-(real cards, not internet poker)-and the drink of choice was often poured into a small glass from bottles that were marked WT or JW, not ready made drinks with twist off tops in plastic bottles. If you were out and a deer winded your red plaid coat and bounded off while you stood there with your "dirty-thirty" Winchester slung over your arm, you most likely thought "Good for you Big guy", not, darn, if only I had a new scentlock suit or maybe I need a bigger scope, better camo,nevermind I'll just call so & so on the cell and tell him to get ready cause the deer is heading for him-with all we spent this year we have to get something to bring home-just to prove that we had fun.

I'm sorry to spout off like this but I see very little hunting going on these days andway too much interest onlyin what & how many are killed. Results...just get results and never mind how you do it, might as well just go to work. So, do us "old" guys a favor and leave the primative season alone until we die off.

Doug
Old 08-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doug S

Please excuse me if I start to rant, and it's not aimed at anyone in particular, no matter what I might say....I've just had it!!!!

PA's primitive season is the last bastion of "real" hunting that I know about, atleast anywhere that is a reasonable commute for me. Forget about flintlocks and roundballs for a moment, think about what hunting in 2006 has become. 300fps+ bows with 85% let off and mechanical heads on carbon arrows, I'll skip them and just get a crossbow, what's the difference? Sentlock suits, tons of calls + electonic ones, cover scents, enough camo that you should be invisable. Baiting, if you want to bait you don't even have to struggle to dumpa bucket of corn out evey few days, just get an electionic one with a 55gal drum and watch what shows up on your laptop. Of course, nobody who is a serious hunter goes to public ground-(unless they have an ATV), $10,000.00/year leases is the only way to go if you want to "hunt"-ha!, a large buck, and big antlers is what it's all about, right? I know a guy who hunts a lease and has more electonic gear on it than I have in my house, he actually names the bucks on the property and decides which one to kill befor he even "hunts" over his feeder, and he get results, yeah-I'm impressed. And if you can't quite come up with the cost of a lease and all the equipment you (need) to ha!-hunt it, you can always just buy a buck, I mean hunt a buck at some guided place that grows them big for ya to shoot, saves time too. Speaking of saving time-(back to ML'rs), who needs all that messy black powder stuff, just get a Savage and shoot your pistol bullets with smokeless, heck it's almost the same thing since you only get one shot and a scope doesn't really matter, now does it.

My comments here are about hunting in generaland if it's because of my generation and someone doesn't see my point then I feel sorry for there generation. You see, I remember when hunting was about guys getting together to HUNT deer, getting one was great but to behonest, we had more fun ribbing the guy who blew his chance. That was ussually done at night, sitting at a table playing cards-(real cards, not internet poker)-and the drink of choice was often poured into a small glass from bottles that were marked WT or JW, not ready made drinks with twist off tops in plastic bottles. If you were out and a deer winded your red plaid coat and bounded off while you stood there with your "dirty-thirty" Winchester slung over your arm, you most likely thought "Good for you Big guy", not, darn, if only I had a new scentlock suit or maybe I need a bigger scope, better camo,nevermind I'll just call so & so on the cell and tell him to get ready cause the deer is heading for him-with all we spent this year we have to get something to bring home-just to prove that we had fun.

I'm sorry to spout off like this but I see very little hunting going on these days andway too much interest onlyin what & how many are killed. Results...just get results and never mind how you do it, might as well just go to work. So, do us "old" guys a favor and leave the primative season alone until we die off.

Doug
I think you and I both were born a century too late.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.