Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Stuck Breech Plug HELP >

Stuck Breech Plug HELP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stuck Breech Plug HELP

Old 05-26-2004, 11:49 PM

Default RE: Stuck Breech Plug HELP

i use the cva breech plug grease and have never had any problems. if you are shooting heavy loads make sure you lube the breech plug well. otherwise it may seize up for good on you.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the help. Seems in my naivety I did not disassemble the new BP as I should have and the breech plug had only factory oil on it. I called Traditions and they insisted that their instructions tell you this and I assure I read them cover to cover last night again and they do not mention cleaning and greasing prior to use. On a better note the 2000 , I’ll get the name later tonight, is discontinued and was an earlier inline before #9 ignition was the in thing as it uses Musket caps. Its real sweet looking short barrel 21” I think with a heavy grain wood stock that has the stick your thumb through grip the Monnel fluted barrel with muzzle break is held to the receiver by a pin and comes off for cleaning.

By the way I don’t think the gun got very hot as the 12 shots were evenly distributed over 2 hours. I use a Traditions pre-lubed patch after each shot. This doesn’t bother the 50 grain pellets but I am getting a Pennsylvania Long rifle this afternoon and I will use loose powder and was wondering if the barrel needs to be drier so the powder will cascade down the barrel properly?
Old 05-27-2004, 07:31 AM

S P,

When I got my CVA inline, I did not clean it until after shooting it he first time. The grease was still on the plug from the factory.

So instead of greasing it like they should have, they slightly oiled it. This is rather foolish since you don't know how long the rifle is going to sit in a gun shop before someone comes along and purchases it. Than they blame the consumer for not cleaning it right away and greasing it.

I like Traditions but I do find their light optic sights a piece of junk. Truglow is much better.

I have used cleaning solvents between shots and they were not affected. Always try to keep the barrel free from solvents, bore butter, or oil as best as you can before shooting. Fowling the barrel is also preferred prior to hunting.

T

T
Old 05-27-2004, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks tomster. how about going through a step by step empty clean BP to taking a shot and then to the next shot Thanks Phil
Old 05-27-2004, 10:32 AM

Phil,

Clean Rifle:

Range

Prior to shooting, I will shoot off a few caps in my inline to foul the barrell. Next I load powder and Powerbelt bullet and fire. I will shoot 5 bullets, sometimes more without cleaning. I find that a fouled barrel shoots more accurately than clean. Than when the bullets get hard to load or accuracy declines, I use cleaning solvent and run a few patches down the barrell. Than I run a few dry to dry out the barrell. Shoot a cap and than load powder and bullet, and continue. When I get home, that night I remove breech plug and clean throughly. Some people will remove the breech plug at the range while the barrel is still warm. I don't do this since I usually remove it the night before going to the range and ensure it is lubed.
Keep in mind that I am using Triple 7 pelets, with a 295 grain PB, shooting 100 yards.

Hunting

Before hunting, I will remove the plug and ensure it is lubed. Shoot off a few caps in the garage, load powder and bullet when I get to stand or when I park the car. Go hunting. If I get nothing, I may shoot it at home to foul it some more or where I was hunting. Load again the next time hunting. I don't clean it thoroughly unless I will not be hunting for several days. I will not break down the rifle after I have sighted it in just prior to hunting or if I will hunt again. If conditions were dry, no rain or snow, I will not clean the barrel right away if I will be hunting again. Once hunting is completed for that rifle, I will break it down and do a complete cleaning and put away.

My hunting seasons in PA depict which rifle I am using, and my choice.

Early ML, mid October I, use my 50 cal CVA inline, with scope, does only, 1 week.

Regular rifle, around December 1st Savage 30-06, with scope or 12 ga Mossberg Shotgun.

Late ML, December 26th through 2nd week in January, I use my flintlock Traditions Deerhunter 50 cal.

I hope this helps....

Tom
Old 05-28-2004, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

Tom, That is great, about the first time I got the real story Thankkkkkkkkkkkkkks a heap Phil By the way I am out in the boonies for Ct and havent met any masters to learn from. Most of the BP hunters I know seem a little worse off than me on the real knowledge side. So Thanks again Phil
Old 05-28-2004, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

TripleSe7en, It is a Champion 2000, They only made it for one year. I think it didn't sell real well because when it came out as an inline it used Musket caps and so they say(Traditions Service) it can not be converted to 209 primer and was up aganist the 209 inlines. It is a real sweet BP. looks real modern with wood stock and hole through the handle pistol grip real high grain contrast. Knight made one simmular to it ia few years back. I will get a picture out soon but the ditigal is used by Gail and I and she dosn't know about that purchase yet. Since I got a fever yesterday and bought a traditions Pennsylvanie BP that she does know about ,I am in hiding for a while!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Striper Phil - it might do you a world of good to do some reading at http://www.realtree.com/bluelk/index.tpl

I do not absolutely agree with everything Bluelk wrote (he passed away after battling brain cancer) but he gave a lot of his time and efforts toward educating new people to the sport. There is much good in his writings.