Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knights new stem ignition >

Knights new stem ignition

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knights new stem ignition

Old 05-04-2004, 12:26 PM
bigcountry

Default Knights new stem ignition

I was reading about this. I haven't got to shoot one yet, but its a pretty nifty idea igniting the powder in the middle of the charge instead of at the rear.

For those of you that didn't see. Knight have a new breach plug to be used with loose powder only. Its bascially a stem about 1 or so inches long. when you put the powder in you gun, it goes around and on top of the stem. When ignited it goes towards the front of the charge. They get a tad bit of velocity gain, but it is supposed to cause more consistent burn.

Old 05-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knights new stem ignition

I saw that too. Actually if you think about it, makes sense. Thats like the new Hornady Sabots they made for pellet shooters. The pellets fit on a spike off the back of the sabot for faster loading. They are taking the concept of muzzleloading to new levels every year.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just saw a write up in our quarterly wildlife federation mag on the Knight Disc Extreme .52 Cal Muzzleloader. In it the writer chrony a 375 gr saboted bullet at an average of 1970FPS. Good read and looks to be a great concept.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:37 PM
bigcountry

I loved the writeup, but really don't see a need for another caliber of muzzleloader. We got 45cal, 50cal and 54cal. There are a bunch more, but these the most common. I am wondering what advantage the .52 cal gives. They said if the artical smaller sabots could be used, and discard much faster. Maybe.

Its rare to hear me say "need", but I will be happy to have one if components are readily available.

wish they could have this stem concept with other calibers.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:14 PM

I also wonder about the "need" for a new unique caliber...could be they designed this unique caliber with patented components & accessories...advertise and attrack people to it and exclusively own that unique piece of the ML market??
Old 05-06-2004, 08:44 AM
bigcountry

Well, maybe, but everybody in the muzzleloading field seems to follow Knight. As the article explains, everytime they come out with something new, the rest of the industry balks, then all the sudden, they are implemented these changes.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
You don't have a Knight catalog do you?

Part # 900042
Fits 45, 50, and 52 cal DISC rifles. No idea on price though as it's not listed. The full plastic jacket ignition is required.

Edit: Found the link. Scroll to the bottom: http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog....ID=BreechPlugs
Old 05-07-2004, 11:18 AM
bigcountry

Yep, I got a catalog, but don't have the right threads for my wolverine. Also, made for extreme and 150gr capable rifles. Don't got that either.

Old 05-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolfhound76

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
You don't have a Knight catalog do you?

Part # 900042
Fits 45, 50, and 52 cal DISC rifles.

No idea on price though as it's not listed.
Looking at that breech plug on Knight's site the MSRP is 19.24. Wait for a short time and shooter suppliers will have it for much less then Knight's MSRP.

It does sound like a good idea they came up with.Another Knight innovation into the future.Do you really need it ? Probably not,unless you like to keep up with Knight's new technology.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-10-2004, 09:54 AM
bigcountry

Uh OH, the word "need" came out again. We need to ban that word from Hobby and obsession forums like these. All we need is a cardboard box to under when it rains, other than that, the rest is good fun.

Quick Reply: Knights new stem ignition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.