Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Newbie in PA/PA Pellet >

Newbie in PA/PA Pellet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie in PA/PA Pellet

Old 12-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie in PA/PA Pellet

Oh, by the way. Folks are gonna be confused with your user name. There is a triple Seven here already. I think he spells it a little different. He spells it Triple Se7en I think. Oh well, I can tell the difference.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:13 PM

I purcheased the Pa Pellet at Gander Mountain when they were on sale for $229.99(camo version). I returned the first gun because the flint would only strike the left third of the frizzen. I tried the Traditions 5/8 English flints and the 3/4 T/C Agate flints with the same results. The frizzen had a lot of side to side play in it. I think when the flint struck the frizzen it actually twisted to the left thus only stricking the left side of the frizzen. I decided to get another one and give it a try. I looked at several guns and got the one where the frizzen did not have any side to side play in it. This gun is fine. The flint strikes the entire frizzen and I get good spark. The only thing that happened with this gun is the screw that holds the jaws for the flint broke off leaving the screw in the bottom hole. I took the gun to a local gunsmith and he removed the broken screw. That was more my fault than the gun's because I tightened the screw more than I should have. I adjusted the trigger pull by adjusting the small set screw on the inside of the lock. The trigger pull is now just like a hair trigger. Just a little squeeze and I goes off. I had a T/C Firestorm and the trigger pull on that thing was terrible. It must have been taken about 10 pounds of pull before it would go off. Everyone that I talk with that has a Firestorm has the same complaint, great gun but the trigger pull is terrible.

Overall I'm impressed with the Pa Pellet. The fit and finish is fine for a gun costing $230.00 and the accuracy is great. This thing is more accurate than the T/C Firestorm and is much easier to shoot because of the trigger pull adjustment. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you adjust the trigger set screw does that void the warranty.

Using 10 grains of 4f black bowder and then 80 grains of 2f Triple Seven in this gun gives quick and reliable ignition every time.

I can't wait until Januray 1, 2005 to actually hunt with this gun. We have a group of 6-8 guys that hunt hard near Mars, Pa. I usually see more than 50 deer per day hunting in that area. We usually have 2-3 drivers and the rest of the guys are on stand. We do this from sun up until sun down and have a great time. Two years ago we got 4 deer during one drive and wound up killing 5 deer by noon!!! I don't think we will ever be able to do that again, but it sure was fun.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mixing real blackpowder with 777 produces volatile results. That is why Hodgdon Inc has never put real blackpowder on the bottom of their 777 pellets like they do with Pyrodex pellets. Blackpowder-flintlock panning is acceptable with 777, but anyone using percussions reading your post should never mix both powders & pour down the muzzle.

I always feel the need to mention this whenever I read the two powders were used simoutaneously. Sadly, readers misinterpret posts too much & danger sometimes looms later-on. This book below is supposedly great for load development. I just ordered mine because I'm about to get heavily into real blackpowder (Swiss).

Click Here For Lyman Loading Handbook
Old 12-26-2004, 09:49 AM

This is right from the web site for using Triple Seven in a flintlock:

Flintlock: To insure proper ignition in flintlock systems, 5 grains of FFFFG priming powder should be placed into the bore prior to loading the main charge of Triple Seven, Consult the loading data in this brochure to determine the proper charge for the caliber firearm used and the chosen projectile. The main powder charge should be reduced by 5 grains to compensate for the addition of the priming powder. While holding the firearm vertically, slowly pour the measured charge of Triple Seven into the barrel. Seat the projectile firmly against the powder. Make certain that there is no airspace between the powder and the projectile.

They don't make 4f Triple Seven so they must mean 4f black powder.
The Pa Pellet has a removable breech plug and 5 grains of 4f does not fill the plug up to the touch hole. That's why I use 10 grains and cut the main charge from 90 grains to 80 grains.