Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Inline or Traditional >

Inline or Traditional

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline or Traditional

Old 03-29-2004, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Inline or Traditional

I don't think you can go wrong with a black diamond(if you chose inline)
Old 03-30-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps new participants in the sport of muzzleloading should be made to start with a build it yourself kit of a poorly done traditional? They would need assemble and finish it themselves, cut their own patch, find and shape their own flints, cast their own balls, make their own accessories including chew-softened hide clothing, and only be allowed to shoot Goex. When they can deliver a one inch group at 100 yards using that iron-sighted rifle and those home-grown loads, while also passing a comprehensive test on rifle history, machoism, and physical endurance...they would then be ALLOWED to shoot the muzzleloader of their choosing, exempt from degrading remarks.

Sounds about right to me.

Choose the rifle you think you will have the most fun using and suits your practical purposes best. Just try to buy the best quality you can from the get-go, go slow and safe in learning to use the piece, and have fun while you are at it.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:08 AM
Spike

I'm currently using a Cap-lock, made by Lyman.
Nice rifle. Wood stock, 24" barrel, and came is lefthanded.
I'm shooting 350gn MaxiHunters and 90gn BP. It shoots about an 1/2 - 1 above the bullseye and in a 2" group.
I held a few inlines, including a White, but didn't like the syn. stock and ones with wood stocks are pricey.

- skunkie
Old 03-30-2004, 10:04 AM
bigcountry

Underclocked, sorry wrong country. Here we got freewill. Somewhat anyway. I don't have the right make anybody shoot anything.

I have both. I started on a old sidelock. I have had ignition troubles on deer. Murphies law is in full effect while hunting for me. Took me alot of practice in cleaning and shooting as a kid to not have ignition troubles. Alot of changes to my cleaning practices and alot of practice at the range. Its your gun, nobody here is probably going to buy you one. So just weigh the pros and cons, and buy whatever suits your wants. For some of us, its another fun season of hunting that wants the most reliable ignition possible. For some, they have the need for a old time feel. Your choice. Your money.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both choices are fine and you'll find very little difference
between the 2 accuracy wise provided they are of quality construction.

I favor inlines and my favorite by a country mile is the White Muzzleloader...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was a joke, bigcountry, a joke!!

oldelkhunter, my White 98 is the most consistently accurate muzzleloader I've ever owned but I'm afraid White has set sail on a different course. They still have some of the better rifles availabe through Rattus and a few other remaining dealers. Last I knew, RMC Sports still had a sale on the model 97 Whitetails. Good rifles by most every account.

If you can locate a good 98 or 97 White at a good price, don't hesitate to choose one. The only areas of concern for some would be the open action and resultant possibility of ignition damage to a scope's underside (just use a protector of some sort) and the cleaning isn't as speedy as some of the breakopen or otherwise sealed actions available. The ease of loading, lack of required swabbings while shooting, and consistent accuracy more than make up for those minor negatives.

I've a number of muzzleloaders, all inlines now but started traditional in the very early 70's - the only inline available about then was the early Huntsman and that abandoned o-ring breech plug scared me off with the first look. (Today's Huntsman is a very good and safe rifle - I own one and it is a shooter.) So it was a Hawken, then another and another until I found one that shot like a dream. I still think the "fun" part of muzzleloading might be a bit diminished with many of the inlines as some are hard as heck to load, being designed for sabots and finicky about which.

Most recently I've added a G2 Contender 209x45 which is a neat little package that offers exceptionally easy cleanup and shows real promise of being a good shooter with conicals - my preferred bullet syle. A hair under 7 lbs complete with a Sightron 2.5x10x32 mounted, it's not built for the heavy loads but what a carry gun!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Underclocked..the whites have no negatives and their advantages over other Muzzleloaders is almost unfair. Its too bad they are so hard to come by and their is little factory support.

I like the Encore stainless muzzleloader combo but wonder what kind of bullets would shoot well out of it other then your TC brand of bullets. Does your encore shoot as well as the White?
Old 03-31-2004, 12:58 PM
bigcountry

Underclocked, I figured.

You know guys, I have noticed a trend happening with muzzleloader hunters which is the opposite to what alot traditionalist think should happen. A kinda cycle if you will. Including myself. Guy get a cheap sidelock. Hunts many years. Guys get another inline. Very happy with the cleaning of his new gun. Guy get a scope on his Inline. Very fun now at 100 yards. Guy gets bored, and get a flinter for fun. Take the flinter hunting. Hey, not bad. Well thats me anyway. Everything comes around.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:54 PM

I'm kinda partial to traditional muzzle loaders. I started w/ one when I was 12. A Hawkins .45 cal. A very accurate gun. won a few muzzle loader shoots at the age of 14. I still own the gun some 20 yrs. later. I recently went out and bought a new inline muzzle loader. I was impressed w/ its accuracy, cleaning and reloading time. especially when used w/ 295 grn. .50 cal powerbelts and 150grn pyrodox pellets. and yes I did put a scope on it. Its is fun but like every thing else.You tend to get board w/ it. I like the tradional more I think. its more real to the old days. ifyour into that.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:15 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with a black diamond(if you chose inline)
Bass Pro Shops has the T/C Black Diamond on sale now for about $150. That's a steal!

Quick Reply: Inline or Traditional

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.