HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Inline or Traditional
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 10:26 AM
Underclocked
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Inline or Traditional

It was a joke, bigcountry, a joke!!

oldelkhunter, my White 98 is the most consistently accurate muzzleloader I've ever owned but I'm afraid White has set sail on a different course. They still have some of the better rifles availabe through Rattus and a few other remaining dealers. Last I knew, RMC Sports still had a sale on the model 97 Whitetails. Good rifles by most every account.

If you can locate a good 98 or 97 White at a good price, don't hesitate to choose one. The only areas of concern for some would be the open action and resultant possibility of ignition damage to a scope's underside (just use a protector of some sort) and the cleaning isn't as speedy as some of the breakopen or otherwise sealed actions available. The ease of loading, lack of required swabbings while shooting, and consistent accuracy more than make up for those minor negatives.

I've a number of muzzleloaders, all inlines now but started traditional in the very early 70's - the only inline available about then was the early Huntsman and that abandoned o-ring breech plug scared me off with the first look. (Today's Huntsman is a very good and safe rifle - I own one and it is a shooter.) So it was a Hawken, then another and another until I found one that shot like a dream. I still think the "fun" part of muzzleloading might be a bit diminished with many of the inlines as some are hard as heck to load, being designed for sabots and finicky about which.

Most recently I've added a G2 Contender 209x45 which is a neat little package that offers exceptionally easy cleanup and shows real promise of being a good shooter with conicals - my preferred bullet syle. A hair under 7 lbs complete with a Sightron 2.5x10x32 mounted, it's not built for the heavy loads but what a carry gun!