Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pyrodex or Hodgdon??? >

Pyrodex or Hodgdon???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex or Hodgdon???

Old 02-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pyrodex or Hodgdon???

is there a big difference between the two types of pellets?? I was told that the Hodgdon burnt a lttle faster and was a bit better. I have been using pyrodex but just bought some Hodgdon - it was all Cabelas had.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pyrodex or Hodgdon???

The Hodgdon Triple 7 pellets have been formulated to approximate the Pyrodex pellets, so a 2 - 50gr pellet load of either ought to give practically the same results.

About the only thing between the two to be concerned about depends on your ignition method. The 777 pellets were designed specifically for 209 primer ignition, so if your gun uses #11caps........there "might" be some ignition problems.

Also, the 777 will leave less fouling behind, but what it does leave will tend to be hard & crusty.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Dominant Buck

First off I will state that I think pellets might be handy, but I do not use them. Besides being more expensive, I do not see how I can make some of the loads my rifles like using pellets.

As for the difference between Pyrodex and Triple Se7en, I shot a couple rifles today. One I used only Pyrodex and the other only Triple Se7en. Without a doubt, the Triple Se7en is easier to clean. But as strange as this sounds, the more I shoot Triple Se7en, the more I like Pyrodex better.

The recoil is much sharper with Triple Se7en. Even the report seems louder then with Pyrodex. Also, I do not know how to explain this in writing but you might know what I mean... When you load Triple Se7en, the ignition time seems different, like it wants to hangfire sometimes, but it doesn't. The sound of the rifle powder ingition is different. The rifle shot fine, no doubt, but it will do the same with Pyrodex which is cheaper to shoot. I swab between shots, so clean up is not a big deal with either of the powders.

Two of my rifles hate Triple Se7en. All of my rifles shoot fine with Pyrodex or Triple Se7en. One shoots OUTSTANDING with Triple Se7en.

In fact if I had to choose, I would rather shoot good old black powder. Even though it is messy and nasty smelly stuff, it always did shoot the best of all the powders.... Until then, I think I am going back to Pyrodex all the time...
Old 03-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like loose 777.