Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Don't like the T/C Hawken patchbox. >

Don't like the T/C Hawken patchbox.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Don't like the T/C Hawken patchbox.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Don't like the T/C Hawken patchbox.

I don't care for the T/C Hawken patchbox. It doesn't look that good, and it hides the nice wood. What is your opinion of it?
Old 02-21-2004, 07:19 AM

Default RE: Don't like the T/C Hawken patchbox.

For looks it o.k. could do without it,never could get it to open in the woods don't have long enough finger nails I really never use it
Old 02-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like I mentioned in another thread here, the T/C Renegade at Fox online is identical to the Hawkens... minus the brass & two inches of barrel length.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Ya 1950kID.I never cared for it either.I might have opened it once.It's about as useless as the %&$# on a boar hog I prefer the plain Jane Renegade.

Hadn't seen you here in awhile. Guess you were gone. Glad to see you made it back..
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Well call me crazy but I have always liked the looks and the fit of the T/C Hawkins much better then the Renegade. Two of my friends have .54 caliber T/C Hawkins and I think they are so beautiful compared to my Renegade. I always thought the patch box on the rifle was extra special. Thats where you store two quarters. That way when you shoot that monster buck you have money for the pay phone always handy to call your friends and brag about it...

All kidding aside, I think the patch box adds to the over all dress of the rifle. I read how some of the old mountain men would decorated their rifles with brass tacks, beads, feathers, and anything else they could, and would always shine the patch box and all the other brass up to a high gloss. It was the one fancy thing they owned in their harsh life I guess.

I have seen a number of them at Rendevous that are works of art almost. Like I say, my one regreat when I built my Renegade was the Hawkins were not on sale at the same time because I would have had one of them instead....

By the way that is one great rifle you have. It really is one of my favorite all time rifles in the Black Powder world for looks and the way they shoot. The Renegade I have is a nice rifle but it is not something special like a Hawkins.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

It's the look that makes the hawken. Like triple seven said theres always the renegade you can buy. I love the old style muzzleloader look. When the in lines came out there was alittle bit lost to traditional muzzleloading hunting. But to each his own and when its time to go elk hunting my great plains lyman is the one I'll pick.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

cherokee outfitter do you hunt elk with round ball? You mentioned a Lymans Great Plains. Is the the rifle or the Hunter. I always thought it would be fun to use the Renegade on an Elk. In fact that is why when I built the kit 20+ years ago, I made a .54 caliber rifle because some of the states did not allow anything smaller.