Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP ! >

Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP !

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP !

Old 01-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP !

I'm about to buy a muzzleloader for the first time. My friends that have been smoke pole hunting for awhile suggest I buy the Thompson Center Omega 50 cal.. I have focused on the stainless/ laminate version. I want to buy one and only one and therefore am not afraid to spend the money for a very good one.
Is this gun as great as everyone ( friends, magazines and tv commercials) claim it is?

I understand that muzzleloader season in Wisconsin only allows for a 1x scope. Any suggestions on a very good scope to attach to my Omega?

I apologize for my ignorance and thank you for any and all advice.

Mathewsconquest2
Old 01-29-2004, 10:21 AM

Default RE: Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP !

Hello and welcome to the great sport of blackpowder hunting!!!!
The Omega is a great choice (although I don't own one a friend does and loves it). I have a Encore 209x50--------It is a great gun and allows me to get more use out of it by buying other barrels. Think about the Encore BUT if you decide on the Omega you will not be sorry!!!!!!!
Good Luck and Good Shooting!!!!
Encore28
Old 01-29-2004, 12:00 PM

If you are only allowed 1x scopes, I would look really hard at a red dot. They work very well at muzzleloader ranges and low light.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I am sure the Omega will be a great rifle for you. Thompson Center makes fine rifles. That's why I own a couple of them. Wisconsin does not allow any scopes with anything more then 1 power during the muzzleloader season. You can use the rifle during the regular season and put any kind of scope on it you like.

I personally think the fiber optic sights that come on the Omega will be all you will need for the muzzleloader season. I have the Black Diamond XR with the same fiber optic sights. Believe this or not, I am tempted to take the scope off of it, and put that scope on my CVA Staghorn.

I had to take the scope off last week due to a stuck breech plug. After I cleaned the rifle and got the plug reset I took the rifle out in the yard at dusk with just the fiber optic sights, and they just jumped out there. They were so easy to see it was fantastic. Much better then the fiber optic sights that are on the CVA Staghorn. (The problem is they both shoot so well the way they are set up right now I hate to change anything about them)

Some people go the red dot route with their rifles. I personally considered it, and then had the chance to shoot one last week. It was all right, but not what I expected. I think a lot of us think of a laser sight (which are not legal in Wisconsin I believe) What a lot of people do not understand is some of the red dots have a large view area. This was how my friend explained his accuracy compared to the groups I was shooting with the fiber optic sights. There can be as much as a 6 inch difference in where the projectile can possibly hit using a red dot (whether this is true or not I do not know, I have little experience with them). This would all depend on the quality of the red dot and the setting it is on. Something to do with MOA of the dot. The red dot will put the shot in that area each and every time. Unlike the fiber optics, where you aim at a point the same way each and every time, you should hit that point.

I think once you get the rifle and try it with the fiber optic sights, you will not consider anything else for the muzzleloader season. I have hunted for years with the open sights and never had any problem filling my freezer.

By the way, Cabela's is having an excellent sale on the T/C Black Diamond XR right now for under $200.00. All I can say is, it is a great rifle. They are a little heavy and do not have the fancy breech design of the Omega but I would think with the 26" barrel they have and the excellent trigger, they would give the Omega a run for the money in the accuracy department...
Old 01-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a .50 cal T/C Omega, blued barrel, black stock -- the most affordable one. $329. I love it. With a 3-9* 40 scope, and it shoots great. It's a dream to clean. The trigger has a nice pull too.

Only problem, the ram rod sucks! Aluminum with sharp ridges. Unless you're wearing gloves, you might loose a little skin. Get one of the folding t-type replacement rods and the gun will be perfect.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:09 PM

You are about to buy a great rifle, it is a 200yd. shooter. It's a shame your state won't let you use a scope greater then 1 power. My Omega has a 3.5 X 10 Tasco world class plus on it. At 200yds it groups sub 4" groups. I have killed six deer this year with my Omega, three at 200 plus yds. I am shooting Pyrodex pellets two 50gr. and one 30gr. with a Hornady 250gr. SST bullet and Remington 209-4 primers. Good luck with the T/C Omega.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Oldsnow,how do you like the remington 4 primers,I have some but have not tried them yet.I shoot an Omega .50 cal 2 triple seven pellets and a250 gr. hornaday SST.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:57 PM

Remington's 209-4 primers work for me. In the past year I have shot over 300 rounds from my Omega and Encore, with out a flyer or miss fire. I buy them by the 1000 and split with my shooting buds.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you like the stainless look, I'd get the plain blued with the synthetic stock. If you keep it clean, It will always look nice. Even stainless corrodes if you do not clean them.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

dvdegeorge

Those cooler 209-410 Remington primers usually must be ordered in bulk of 1000 or 5000 over the net or by special order in a hunting store. Distributors will charge you an additional $20 HAZMAT fee bee-cuzz they're listed as an explosive transfer. It's still a good deal for less than $50.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/catalog...on_page_1.html

Quick Reply: Brand new muzzleloader hunter. OMEGA ? NEED HELP !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.