Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

please answer

Old 01-17-2004, 12:31 PM

Default please answer

Muzzel loader season ended 2 and a half weeks ago i shot it of the last day i went back to my grandpas house and i had to leave he said he would clean my gun up but forgot do do it for 2 and a half weeks how bad is the on my gun?????
Old 01-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: please answer

Better get ahold of it and find out. May be ruined, may be only mildly corroded.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Dominant Buck

The rifle needs attention and it needs it right now... If you can not get to the rifle like today, have your Grandfather take the barrel off and pour boiling hot soapy water through the barrel. This will at least flush a lot of the chemicals that are or might be working in the barrel right now. After that have him pour just boiling water through it to rinse the soap out of it. Then have him run a HEAVY SATURATED quality oiled patch through the barrel to stop any further action of the rust.

You still need to get to that rifle as soon as you can. The actions your Grandfather takes tonight will not save the barrel but will stop the damage from getting worse. When you get to it, do a entire water bath again just like your cleaning the gun after coming back from the range. Get a bore light and have a look down the barrel or if it is an in line look through the barrel. See what kind of damage if any there is...

If the barrel is pitted you have a couple choices. You can shoot it and see how bad it shoots. If it is acceptable, then learn to live with your mistake and do not make the same one again. If it is not the greatest, then you might try lapping the barrel. I am not saying it will save the rifle but at this stage of the game it can not hurt.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:14 AM

DearSlayer357 if you were using Hodgdons 777 you are not going to have a problem. What powder were you using? 777 is noncorosive and you can leave your gun for a week or two without too much adverse affect I have been told.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

What powder were you using? 777 is noncorosive and you can leave your gun for a week or two without too much adverse affect I have been told.
==================================================

All 777 powder-varieties are somewhat corrosive.... dependant upon outdoor weather/barrel conditions prior to cease of use. I have tested an uncleaned 777 rifle for 12 days & it worked terrific, but I kept the rifle in an hard-shelled case with indoor temperature surroundings. Every test has different variations. Try to clean immediately after use. Odds are -- if the rifle was subjected to open-air conditions, some type of bore damage has occurred.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

bpbullets I have to agree with Triple Se7en on this one. A friend of mine was shooting his Mag Bolt, and wanted to try the Triple Se7en loose powder in it. He said the rifle shot great with the stuff, then being the way he is, he set it in the corner of the gun room for only two days. He said when he remembered it, he ran and looked through it, and already, there was a light film of what he called surface rust starting to form. He cleaned the rifle and then got some JB Bore Polish and said it took the stuff out. I told him if he had simply took the barrel off and ran some water down through it, it might have stopped any actions from the T-7 because it would have washed it out. He told me not to worry as this mistake will never happen again......
Old 01-18-2004, 07:15 PM

i cleaned it VERY VERY well and it dosnt seem to have any corotion or anything i thinks its alright
Old 01-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tis is not a flame, but next time, don't depend on someone else to come through for you. Do it yourself. Then you know it will be right. Besides, if grandpa is like me, he's all the time forgetting something.